FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By s41f1995
So, I have recently repotted my vft into a bigger plastic pot. The soil is a repotting mix I bought said to contain" peat and graded sand." The repotting I'd say did not go very well. The traps were all curling in towards the soil making it hard to repot. I managed to get some plantlets out of the rhizome too.
But right now the leaves are turning pink/yellow, the traps are still shut, and its been a couple of days since repotting.
Have I killed it?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments:
IMG-20150414-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150414-WA0001.jpg (180.89 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
By boggyboy72
Till someone with more exp. comes along I'll give it a shot.

They look ok to me,but could maybe be a little deeper in the soil.I think the pink/yellow-white part is what was below the soil before.I just repotted last week and have some plants that look like that.Those plants that want to curl down are a little tricky to get just right. ;)

Just keep a eye on them for a few days because if the sand in the media is the wrong kind you could get mineral burn.

I used bad sand once and my plants started to die in less than a week.
Last edited by boggyboy72 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Matt
The plant looks good to me. It looks recently repotted, which it was, but otherwise healthy :)

It's normal for parts of the plant that weren't previously exposed to turn yellow and then pink as they get sun. The flytrap could have been potted a little more deeply so that more of the rhizome and lower part of the leaves were deeper in the soil, but it doesn't look like it's so shallowly potted that it will have problems.

To get it a bit deeper, you could moisten the soil around the rhizome and then gently push down on the cut off flower stalk and wiggle it back and forth. That should help the plant settle in a bit more deeply into the soil, from which it would benefit.
By s41f1995
Thanks for the replies guys,
Say if I were to leave it how it is, would it just turn green over time? or do I need to push the plant in deeper?

cheers
By Matt
It won't turn green. The exposed parts that are white and yellow and turning pink will turn more pink and reddish. All new growth will be green.

As I wrote in the previous response, the plant could benefit from being pushed a little deeper, but it won't die if it's left potted as it is now.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!