FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By CaMoreno3
Is the "Pink Venus" considered a cultivar? I couldn't find it on our Cultivar List, yet I see it for sale and that many people have it.

Is it newer?

Just curious.
Thanks.
By Steve_D
A named clone has not necessarily been registered as a cultivar. The cultivar system is flawed, and not all growers register the plants they consider special in some way as an official cultivar. The important thing is whether the named plant is in fact a clone of the original plant that was given that name. A plant that has been registered as a cultivar may or may not be a genetically identical clone of the original plant, due to a flaw in the cultivar system itself which describes only physical characteristics. (Therefore a plant with short triangular teeth can be called Dentate Traps even if it is not genetically identical to the original Dentate Traps; I had quite a few seedlings for example that had short, triangular teeth, none of which are genetically identical to the original Dentate Traps, of course.)

As for myself, if one of the seedlings I grow turns into a special plant in some way, I would personally not be inclined to register it as a cultivar but simply to give it a name, help it propagate through division or tissue culture to keep the plantlets identical genetically, and distribute those clones.
By CaMoreno3
Thanks a lot for clearing that up Steve. :D

After your explanation, I think that this forum should possibly start a clone list?
If the members grow something that they think is pretty special, they could submit it to be added to the list. It could be like our own Cultivar system, except more personal and a little less flawed. I don't know... Just an idea.

Maybe Matt could arrange something? :mrgreen:
By Amac
that'd be cool if Matt could do something like that.
By Matt
Yes, I have a list of commonly traded clones. I wanted to gather some background information and photos for each of them, but I haven't done that yet. It's going to be a ton of work because there are literally hundreds of named clones out there. However, there are only a few that are readily available. I guess I should start with those and work my way through the rest...
By CaMoreno3
That would be great!

I think that commonly traded and flytrapcare user created ones should have the priority on the list.

But a list of clones would be GREATLY! appreciated.

Thanks Matt!
By Matt
CaMoreno3 wrote:I think that commonly traded and flytrapcare user created ones should have the priority on the list.
Agreed. I'll start working on this soon. I've had it on my TO DO list for a very long time now. Funny how some things never make it off that list... :)
By CaMoreno3
I get what you mean.

It seems that many of my to-do lists grow rather than shrink... :?
By afh928
Yeah, we have had the "CP Awards" on our To-Do List for a while now, lol...we get busy. :lol:

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!