FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Bluemoon
Title says it all - I've been trying to take leaf pullings from plants in the succulent state, but no luck so far. I noticed some tiny plantlets at the end of the leaf pulling, but they withered away not too long ago. Anyone have any other advice? Right now I'm putting the leaf pullings on dry turface near some HO T5s and not watering them. They're inside a plastic sauce container, and the lid has some holes poked in it. The temperature is around 85 day/ 72 night thanks to the lights.

I've done plenty of Mexican Ping leaf pullings in the past (mostly 'Weser') where I left them on some moist perlite/peat in a sealed plastic container, and it seemed to work well, but that was during the spring/summer, and it's in the 40s outside right now. I've also recently tried putting the leaf pullings in plastic bags in low-light conditions with no added water or humidity, as I'd read on a different forum, with no success. If anyone has any other successful strategies, especially with gypsicola, that'd be much appreciated.
By KategoricalKarnivore
I haven’t done gypsicola but I have done agnata x gypsicola a couple times. I get pretty much 100% strike rate on live sphag in a terrarium that is totally closed off to keep humidity high. Lighting is 2 100watt 6500K cfls.
By Benurmanii
Agnata has a really thick leaf so agnata x gypsicola will strike much more readily than the smaller leaves of gypsicola. I'd recommend striking them on dry media but bagged with no airflow to keep the humidity up. Sometimes you also just gotta wait till you have a bigger plant to get leaves large enough to strike.
Benurmanii liked this
By Shadowtski
hollyhock wrote:This is my first time trying it...but I just put the leaves next to the Mother plant... :D
You should change your username to "Mother Nature" or "Gaia".
All you have to do is look at a cutting and it springs to life and propagates itself!

Good growing from a lowly mortal. :)

Mike
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!