Pinguicula Gigantea

Discuss Pinguicula care here
User Avatar
yardleyq1987

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Turlock, California
Thanked: 20 times in 19 posts

Pinguicula Gigantea

by yardleyq1987 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:28 pm

I just acquired my first Mexican Ping, but i'm clueless as to having it indoors or outdoors. Outdoor temperatures right now are between 95-102 degrees Fahrenheit, location Northern California. I'd prefer to have it grow outside with the rest of my plants if possible..

User Avatar
heywhathuh

 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:05 am
Thanked: 12 times in 12 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by heywhathuh » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:13 pm

If you'd like to grow it outside, bright shade (or morning/evening sun) would be best, as full mid-day sun with those temps might cook it. Also if you just got it make sure to ease it into acclimation.

User Avatar
Nepenthes0260

 
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 am
Thanked: 62 times in 51 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by Nepenthes0260 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:33 pm

I keep all my Pings inside, 102 might be a bit much for a gigantea. I would keep it inside to be on the safe side.

User Avatar
yardleyq1987

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Turlock, California
Thanked: 20 times in 19 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by yardleyq1987 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 pm

I think I will play it safe and keep it indoors on a bright windowsill and see how it progresses. Thank you for the clarification and information.

User Avatar
tommyr

 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 am
Location: United States
Thanked: 245 times in 219 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by tommyr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Yup, a bright windowsill is best. Be careful with watering, I lost both of mine to brown heart disease in the past year.

User Avatar
yardleyq1987

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Turlock, California
Thanked: 20 times in 19 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by yardleyq1987 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:47 pm

tommyr wrote:Yup, a bright windowsill is best. Be careful with watering, I lost both of mine to brown heart disease in the past year.

Thank you for that piece of information, I just now read about it. Sounds like a bad disease.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Avatar
Ping

 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:04 am
Thanked: 18 times in 14 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by Ping » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:28 pm

I agree with the above that those outside temps will probably be too much for Mexican Pings, even so with no big night temp drop. Mine is grown on a West windowsill with highs of 78F and a low of 69F in summer and low 60s in winter.
Attachments
IMG_7791.jpg
IMG_7791.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 355 times

User Avatar
yardleyq1987

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Turlock, California
Thanked: 20 times in 19 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by yardleyq1987 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Ping wrote:I agree with the above that those outside temps will probably be too much for Mexican Pings, even so with no big night temp drop. Mine is grown on a West windowsill with highs of 78F and a low of 69F in summer and low 60s in winter.

Those are nice! Mine is sitting in a constant 78F with possibly a 5 degree drop at night ..
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Avatar
Ping

 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:04 am
Thanked: 18 times in 14 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by Ping » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Looks great! I wouldn't be to caught up in the night drops unless it's experiencing some high heat constantly throughout the day. But it looks great so I wouldn't change a thing.

User Avatar
yardleyq1987

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Turlock, California
Thanked: 20 times in 19 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by yardleyq1987 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Ping wrote:Looks great! I wouldn't be to caught up in the night drops unless it's experiencing some high heat constantly throughout the day. But it looks great so I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you for the feedback and information. I won this Pinguicula at a carnivorous plant show, so I was scrambling for a bit on how to care for them. I mostly specialize on vft, sarrs, sundews, and Byblis (all grown outside).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Avatar
Ping

 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:04 am
Thanked: 18 times in 14 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by Ping » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:42 pm

yardleyq1987 wrote:
Ping wrote:Looks great! I wouldn't be to caught up in the night drops unless it's experiencing some high heat constantly throughout the day. But it looks great so I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you for the feedback and information. I won this Pinguicula at a carnivorous plant show, so I was scrambling for a bit on how to care for them. I mostly specialize on vft, sarrs, sundews, and Byblis (all grown outside).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I grow all the same outside as well. Biggest thing I've learned is browning heart disease is your biggest fear. When I water I fill the tray about a quarter up the pots and then I don't add water again until the tray is evaporated. Them being inside you need to be more cautious with your watering habits especially with what your soil mix could consists of.

User Avatar
yardleyq1987

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Turlock, California
Thanked: 20 times in 19 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by yardleyq1987 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Ping wrote:
yardleyq1987 wrote:
Ping wrote:Looks great! I wouldn't be to caught up in the night drops unless it's experiencing some high heat constantly throughout the day. But it looks great so I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you for the feedback and information. I won this Pinguicula at a carnivorous plant show, so I was scrambling for a bit on how to care for them. I mostly specialize on vft, sarrs, sundews, and Byblis (all grown outside).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I grow all the same outside as well. Biggest thing I've learned is browning heart disease is your biggest fear. When I water I fill the tray about a quarter up the pots and then I don't add water again until the tray is evaporated. Them being inside you need to be more cautious with your watering habits especially with what your soil mix could consists of.

Got it. Currently I’m doing a finger check and if it’s damp I’m leaving it alone. I’ve only top watered around it twice since I got it. So I’m going to say I’m averaging once a week for watering.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Avatar
yardleyq1987

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Turlock, California
Thanked: 20 times in 19 posts

Re: Pinguicula Gigantea

by yardleyq1987 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:45 am

Image

Here’s a 3 month update. I just fed it with maxsea and finely crush bloodworms . So far so good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users would like to thank yardleyq1987 for this post
tommyr


Return to Butterworts

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests