FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By KategoricalKarnivore
Good luck.
By Bluemoon
Good luck! Dunno if selfing will work, but I'm always glad to see more species seed produced in cultivation.
By heywhathuh
I believe this clump is seed grown, so the smaller one sending up the second flower stalk should be able to pollinate the first, hopefully......

If it doesn't work, I won't know if they're infertile, too closely related, or if I just messed up on hand pollination! Haha
By Bob Beer
I usually just use a very thin straight paint brush. I stick it in, then turn it slightly upward as I withdraw it to grab pollen. Sometimes the flower has to be open a few days before the pollen will release. You’ll see it as a distinct line on the top of the brush. Then without turning the brush, insert it into the target flower. The pollen should be captured by the stigma, which looks like a tiny flap/curtain attached to the top of the entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this
By heywhathuh
I know I'm supposed to wait a few days after opening for the pollen to appear, but what does my time limit look like? I'd hate to miss my window while trying to wait for the second stalk to catch up.....

Thanks for all the info as always guys!
By Bob Beer
Just try it. If you don’t get any pollen, they again the next day. You won’t hurt anything by trying the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By heywhathuh
I attempted to pollinate it just now. How long before I'll be able to tell if the ovary is swelling or not? Definitely not 100% sure I did it right, even with the flower ripped open and the diagrams in front of me. It was a sobering reminder that my eyes aren't great, and I might need some kind of magnification for round two with the second flower (I saved a bit of pollen from the first for it, but didn't want to wait any longer and risk the first flower dying)
By Benurmanii
The first flower shouldn't die from damage, and since I don't think the pollen lasts super long it would probably be best to apply that extra pollen on the stigma again. All you really gotta do is apply the pollen to the front side of the flap which you collected the pollen out from under. With perennial Pings, I've found that the flower will usually last for a while longer until it starts developing seeds (if it accepts the pollen). This could be a while for ones with a fresh flower, so I wouldn't expect to see any real sign of seed development for another few days to a week.
Benurmanii liked this

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!