FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I was just wondering the best time and way to do some ping pullings. I would like to propagate some of my pings and am not sure the best way to do this. Thanks in advance.
By Shadowtski
Hungry Plants wrote:I was just wondering the best time and way to do some ping pullings. I would like to propagate some of my pings and am not sure the best way to do this. Thanks in advance.
I wait until my Mexican Pings start forming their Winter rosettes.
Then I pull off a few of the first Winter Succulent leaves.
I place them on dry-ish perlite/peat and avoid the temptation to water them.
Buds and plantlets form pretty quick.
I've had my best luck with P. cyclosecta.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By riveraXVX
the kid and I just grew some from pullings Hollyhock sent her, and we also took our own pulls from the P. Florian sent, used tweezers, tried to find a couple at the base that were easy enough to get to and made sure to get all the leaf when we did them - had 100% strike rate in our first attempts.

the ones that were sent were just set on top of the same mineral based mix sent along with them, then the plant we just placed them on top of the mix with the mother. gave them plenty of light and just a light water misting every day or two
By jeff
Bonjour

for ping leaves cuttings
it is the time when the ping are in dormancy .
you take out without claws (which may damage it) the succulent leaves close to the roots, some come alone

you take a food box with lid or like me a petri box

use like substrate vermiculite or perlite or if you use petri box just a paper wipes everything (the advantage with these supports, it is sanitized) .
you put these supports in the box ,in any case wet ( use commercial spring water ), you put the leaves cuttings on them, you close the lid .

put all this, in the light, to the suffocated, at 20 ° C or at similar temperatures.

jeff
By KategoricalKarnivore
I pull the leaves when they are carnivorous and succulent. Both work fine for me. I put them on live sphag in a plastic container. That container goes into my totally closed up terrarium for high humidity. Strikes usually start in 2 weeks or less.
Attachments:
2AD04DB1-EEA9-4B18-9EED-FD512EDB28CD.jpeg
2AD04DB1-EEA9-4B18-9EED-FD512EDB28CD.jpeg (835.51 KiB) Viewed 5346 times
15A7C6E0-03FD-4F4B-937E-7D2D254DE761.jpeg
15A7C6E0-03FD-4F4B-937E-7D2D254DE761.jpeg (669.89 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
By Hungry Plants
Sorry for the late reply guys. I don't have enough live sphagnum to fill a container yet just started propagating it from some plant that was wrapped in it. If I mix up some ping mix and place it in my Highland tank which sits at about 80% humidity would that work? Just keep the media moist?
By FlyTrap Hunter
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:I pull the leaves when they are carnivorous and succulent. Both work fine for me. I put them on live sphag in a plastic container. That container goes into my totally closed up terrarium for high humidity. Strikes usually start in 2 weeks or less.
That's beautiful KK. Almost like a box of pretty chocolates

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By jeff
Bonjour

sphagnum is also a good solution ,but attention in this media the mold and other viruses spread very quickly, it is not sanitized.

if you have not sphagnum ,you can use just absorbent paper ( like sopalin , etc) just wet , to 20-24 °c in good light
By Hungry Plants
Well here it is. I didn't have enuff live sphagnum so i used same ping mix I have the mother plants in. Then I put it in my highland tank witch sits at 75-80% RH. Let me know what you think and what I should change if anything. Thanks guys.
By Benurmanii
Hungry Plants wrote:Yes the substrate is a little wet. Should it be dry?
Wet substrate more easily spreads pathogens to the leaves that could kill the totipotent cells on the pulled end of the leaf. I usually prefer to strike the pullings of carnivorous leaves in a sealed container with no media. With larger leaves, they will maintain enough water as the plantlets start to develop their first roots.
By Bluemoon
I place the leaf pullings on dry or moist substrate - usually perlite/peat mix or mineral mix (turface, perlite). Seems like I have more success with moist substrate. It's also important to keep the humidity high, especially for the pickier species. I like to keep the temperatures warm (at least 70F) though they have survived and grown even with temps to the high 40s (not recommended).

As for timing - most Mexican pings will propagate from leaf pullings any time of year, though when repotting (during winter typically) you can easily pluck the leaves off. Otherwise you risk disturbing and upending the plant when you wouldn't have otherwise which might set back growth.
Bluemoon liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!