FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
xr280xr wrote:Pretty variety! You grew that from a seed?
No, I grew it from the leaves on the top of a pineapple fruit. I forgot to mention that it had come directly from Hawaii... with me... on an airplane... My dad won a trip to Hawaii on a scratch-off lottery ticket back in the 80's, so my parents paid for an extra plane ticket so I could go along with them.

When we were leaving Oahu to come back home, my dad saw a shop in the airport where you could have a box of three pineapples shipped along with your luggage, so he sprang for that too since all the pineapples we had eaten there were so much better than the ones in the grocery stores back home. Unfortunately though, he forgot to tell the rest of us about it, and after my brother and sister-in-law had picked us up at the airport, we were almost halfway back home when my dad suddenly remembered the pineapples. I was so exhausted with jet-lag and just wanted to get back home to my own bed, my mom said she had never heard such a big sigh coming up from the backseat of the car!

My brother whipped the car around and zoomed back to the airport and when we rushed in, there was just one box still going around in circles on the carousel -- with our three pineapples inside! After I read about how you can grow them from the leaves on top, I planted one of them and kept it growing in my brother's greenhouse for a few years until it got big enough to bloom. I read somewhere that it would help force it bloom and set fruit if it were exposed to ethylene gas, so I wrapped a clear plastic bag around the entire huge plant and put several pieces of rotting apple inside to help gas it. It must've worked since it grew a fruit shortly thereafter. It wasn't as big as the original, but I was pretty proud of it since I'm definitely *not* in a tropical climate! I just wish I had taken more pictures, but back then you actually had to use *film* and then send it off in the mail to be developed and sent back to you; no instant digital photos like we have nowadays!
By xr280xr
Update: They didn't love being separated. There was a lot of root damage and I suspect they've been doing more growing beneath the soil than above. They also got too big to fit under my lights (pictured is a new setup where they would now fit again) so they've been in a window sill and in lower humidity as well because I unbagged them. Given all those challenges, I think they're doing well.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 2246 times
xr280xr liked this
Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!