FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Alex2893
I have always been amazed by venus fly traps but never really had the time to bye and care for them until now. a few days ago i bought 2 venus fly traps from home depot and a pincher plant from primeX a local nersery. my plan was to replant them into a much bigger pot. i spent hours researching. I bought a bag of sphagnum peat moss and organic perlite will no nutrients or anything. I used 50% of each and mixed them well. I then added about a half gallon of distilled water. Now it has a heavy moist feel. the perlite keeps it from compacting to much. I bought plenty of distilled water. I also put together a make shift growlight although i might be doing that part wrong idk. My venus fly traps dont close when provoked so i guess they might be dormant still. i welcome any feedback wether good or bad.
Last edited by Alex2893 on Thu May 07, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By katya_dog1
I like the traps on the VFT. They look nice, even though that is probably because of the package.

You've done everything right, just one thing: Light. How many Watts is your grow light, and what is the color temperature (in kelvin, for example 3200k)?

Direct sun for 6 hours or more a day is best, do you have a place where you get a lot of sun in your yard? If so, you probably want to put it there. Sunlight is better than even the best grow lights.

BTW, where did you get that container? It looks nice, though if you put it out in the sun you probably want to paint it white unless it's made out of foam.
By cdelavan
The plants look good! As was mentioned if weather permits you will want to grow those plants outside in as much sun as you can afford. However if summer is approaching where you live then you will want to possibly spray paint that pot you have them in since a black pot will absorb heat and might lead to your soil becoming heated. However being a large pot you might not have to worry too much about that so that's up to you.
By Alex2893
I want to put them outside put im not sure when i should. Here in pa nights are still going into the 40s and 50s. it looks like through the next 8 days the lowest the temp goes is the low to mid 50s. highs are between 70 and 85 the next 8 days. also looks like mostly sunny days

could i put it outside now and leave it?
By Morpheus
Oh most definitely! All of my plants are outside and we've had cold spells that hit around 35°F a couple nights here. 40's and 50's won't bother them at all. They'll be fine if you take them outside! They're tougher than you think they are ;)
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!