photo contest question for all

Submit a photo to enter the contest or vote for your favorite photo submission

Do you /Have you, voted for your own plant in the contests?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:29 am

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 16
Oblivion

Re: photo contest question for all

by Oblivion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:23 am

David F wrote:My question does anyone "vote for a photo they think doesn't have a chance, so all the others that might have a chance, don't get that vote?" :)

kind of, yes.

not to spite others though..

but i have voted for less than perfect pics because i like the plants in the photo, and because the more editing ppl do to a photo the less inclined i become to vote for it, because it kinda says "my pic wasnt perfect so i photochopped it".

the less cropping, sharpness adjusting, brightness tweaking, colour enhancing etc.. the more likely it is to get my vote.

i like photo's how i like my women... raw and as they truely are, without 3" of makeup (no editing)

and i never vote for my own pic.

Grey
Forum Moderator

by Grey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 am

Oblivion wrote:i like photo's how i like my women... raw and as they truely are, without 3" of makeup (no editing)

Bliv you are a relief to natural women everywhere! Yay!

I haven't submitted anything to the competition nor have I voted yet. If I had submitted my own photo I certainly wouldn't vote for it as I rarely do anything worthy of merit. I'm not sure why I haven't voted on the competition yet mind you.. I might do later.. maybe.

dantt99

by dantt99 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Oblivion wrote:the less cropping, sharpness adjusting, brightness tweaking, colour enhancing etc.. the more likely it is to get my vote.

Believe it or not, I would just like to make a point. As far as some pics I've taken before, I don't edit them barely at all, I crop to center the pic, and I turn up the brightness to get more light into the photo, if it lacks any. I know it's all opinion, but what don't you like about editing a photo to make it look better? Especially if the plant still looks exactly like a plant?

Oblivion

by Oblivion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 pm

anyone can make a photo look great with digital manipulation.

sometimes it ends up being pretty far away from what the original photo was.

thats coming down to who can manipulate their picture the best, rather than quite simply 'who has a nice plant'

yinepu

by yinepu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Oblivion wrote:anyone can make a photo look great with digital manipulation.

thats coming down to who can manipulate their picture the best, rather than quite simply 'who has a nice plant'

Well.. not ANYONE.. my ex couldn't make a pic look good no matter how hard he tried... :lol:

I thought this was a photo contest?.. not a "who has the prettiest plant" contest... or am I mistaken?

Oblivion

by Oblivion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:33 pm

actually i think you may be, since its a carnivore plant that your photographing.

its more about the plants IN the photo than just a great looking photo of any old thing, but of course the pic does count since a great plant in a blurry pic is kinda hard to enjoy too.

if what you say is true then i'll take the best pic youve ever seen but it'll be of a dead fly trap or sarra...
do you think ill win the contest? :O

its about the plant.. the photo is merely the way you share it with people on the other side of the globe.

at our ACPS meets we do the same thing but without the photo.
everyone brings a plant for "show n tell" as i call it.. and then we vote on who has the nicest plant.

this is the exact same thing that we do here, but your using a photo to share it.

dantt99

by dantt99 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:06 am

I don't want this to become a debate or anything, but if it's a great plant but a bad photo what's the point?

David F

by David F » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 am

I think a photo contest, in all sense of the terms of "photo," it means artistic/creative, if we were comparing plants, (correct me if I'm wrong,) it would be a "picture" contest, or a "plant contest" and mat would win all of those so.... :)
Looking for any drosera capensis via seed, pm me!
I'm interested in any sundews.

Growlist/trading profile:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/david-f-s-growlist-t26539.html

The following users would like to thank David F for this post
dantt99

JimsPlants

by JimsPlants » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 am

Oblivion wrote:anyone can make a photo look great with digital manipulation.

It should be a balance of a great plant-photographed well, and yes mostly unedited although cropping is fine as it is just removing the unwanted part of the photo, which is needed in most circumstances unless you have a super macro lense.

Oblivion wrote:if what you say is true then i'll take the best pic youve ever seen but it'll be of a dead fly trap or sarra...
do you think ill win the contest? :O

It happened the first contest: download/file.php?id=3625 first-flytrapcare-photo-contest-results-t5833.html

A good photo of a deadish plant and what appears to be some carfully placed Insects. I don't think animals or insects should be artifically placed in a photo(seemed to be the theme of one contest), but great if naturally captured.

Oblivion wrote:at our ACPS meets we do the same thing but without the photo.
everyone brings a plant for "show n tell" as i call it.. and then we vote on who has the nicest plant.

That'll be the difference between a Plant contest and a Photo contest.

If you took an awful picture of an amazing plant should it win a photo contest?

I think we should all just vote for our favourite 3!(not one) photos :) with judgement based on both plant quality and photographic quality. And not vote for substandard photos to ward off compeition, otherwise its pointless.
Last edited by JimsPlants on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
James [/url]

The following users would like to thank JimsPlants for this post
dantt99, Gothic TRAPS, Oblivion

SDCPs

by SDCPs » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:00 am

LOl! I just vote for my favorite photos, and one usually happens to be mine (why would I submit it otherwise?)

First contest I only voted for others I think. I just use all three votes. May the best photo win.

yinepu

by yinepu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:33 am

David F wrote:I think a photo contest, in all sense of the terms of "photo," it means artistic/creative, if we were comparing plants, (correct me if I'm wrong,) it would be a "picture" contest, or a "plant contest" and mat would win all of those so.... :)

I was thinking the exact same thing! :lol:

Matt does have some amazing plants

Oblivion

by Oblivion » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:05 am

thats what ive been saying all along.

its not purely about the photo quality
its not purely about the most awesome plant in a blurry photo (i already stated this but most skimmed it, it seems)

its a good combo of the two, but more about the plant imo.

if i may use snapperheads photo's as an example.. its an ordinary snapshot type of photo (not an elaborate photo shoot with advanded photochopping) of an awesome plant, and its the plant quality thats drawing his votes - not because it was edited to look great.

imho, thats how it should be.
when i vote its 70/30 plant/photo, as long as its a clear in focus pic thats all i care about. the rest of my vote is based on plant quality.

dantt99

by dantt99 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:35 am

Okay, thanks for clarifying!
I will pick mostly based on the photo. After all, it's a "photo contest." ;) I love macro shots on beautiful traps/pitchers/leaves/whatevers . I vote on great macro shots on nice plants, if you want my vote ;)

Oblivion

by Oblivion » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:06 am

if its mostly a 'photo contest' i should be able to post pics of my dog, my pond + lily's, a beautiful sunset...

it is a CP forum, so it should be more about the CP really (imho)

dantt99

by dantt99 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Oblivion wrote:if its mostly a 'photo contest' i should be able to post pics of my dog, my pond + lily's, a beautiful sunset...

it is a CP forum, so it should be more about the CP really (imho)

We can call it a CP Photo Contest if that helps ;)

PreviousNext

Return to FlytrapCare Photo Contest