Pest Identification and Control

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
Druish

Re: Pest Identification and Control

by Druish » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 pm

I usually keep my VFT out on the fire escape, since its summer time now and it gets lots of sun out there.
Today, I saw what looked like a june beetle? When I turned the pot to get a closer look at it, it burrowed under the soil. Not sure how long it's been there, I'd assume no longer than today, maybe yesterday. I managed to dig it out and remove it. Should I be worried? I read that they can lay eggs and hatch larva in grass and eat roots. Is there a way I can treat for this in case, without hurting the VFT roots?
EDIT: I should note that I live in southern New England, usa if that helps.
Thanks in advance! :D

xr280xr
Super User

by xr280xr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Hmm. Good catch, for starters! I would definitely be worried about the VFT. The larvae like grass roots and if they hatch and the VFT is the only thing available, I would be surprised if they don't munch on it. But I'm not sure what can be used safely on a VFT for this. Milky spore or nematodes are used to treat lawns for "white grubs" but 1) I don't know if milky spore is safe on a VFT and 2) I dont' know if either works quickly enough to protect your VFT. Your best bet might be to just re-pot it before they hatch, but someone else might have a better suggestion.
My GrowList

Wanted:
S. leuco "H.C. White"
D. muscipula: "Microdent", "Dentate"
C. follicularis: Hummer's Giant

Andrew88

by Andrew88 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie just getting started with CP’s and received a VFT in the mail 2 weeks ago. They seem to be doing fine but I’ve noticed some brown spots forming on some of the leaves. Could this be an early sign of pest damage or is it normal. Maybe I’m just being paranoid :D but I’ve heard that mites can seriously damage plants if not treated early. Thanks everyone!

4A6BBF3C-043E-4012-8A63-3E412A9BF468.jpeg
4A6BBF3C-043E-4012-8A63-3E412A9BF468.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 211 times
Attachments
8229B692-4892-473C-897F-565BD031D56E.jpeg
8229B692-4892-473C-897F-565BD031D56E.jpeg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 211 times

Pols Voice

by Pols Voice » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:30 am

Can someone help me ID this pest or disease on my VFTs? My King Henry in particular has been dropping for several days when he used to stand so tall. His leaves appear to be chewed on the edges but his pods appear fine (I think). The other VFTs I have seem to not be thriving as much but are still sprouting new pods. I originally thought everyone was sun starved so I started putting them all on the porch. I live in Texas, and it’s been raining for almost 2 weeks here, so sunlight has been hard to come by. My plants are like pets to me and I’m scared I’m going to lose my beautiful King Henry.

I’ve already ordered some miticide and I’ve been spraying them all with 3-in-1. I keep thinking I see tiny red mites but I have such poor vision and they are so small and still that I’m not sure. I am a newbie to any and all plant care but I really want to do right by these babies. What else can I do?

PeachHawk

by PeachHawk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm

I must have picked up aphids from a plant sale because my plants live indoors, and I can't get rid of them. I have tried submerging them for days, washing and repotting EACH INDIVIDUAL PLANT, I have even tried the Bayer rose spray and neem oil, I am doing something wrong or I have the worlds toughest aphids. :(

Previous

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions