FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By whatsgrowingon
Hey guys,
I live in an apartment in Florida and all my plants live on my patio where they don't really get a lot of direct sun so I have grow lights as an extra light source that I leave on for a portion of the night. The problem with this is it seems to have attracted what I think are subterranean termites. I noticed that they have been burrowing in the soil of most of my plants and have chomped holes to escape out a few of my traps that snacked on them. I'm not positive on the ID of the culprits but here is a picture I found that looks like what I have been seeing. Any Ideas on a solution other than covering my plants or not using the lights anymore? Does anyone know if I could be mistaking and the bugs are not termites but a common pest that looks like these? Any comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated :D
subterranean termites.jpg
subterranean termites.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
By fuddmain
The only other thing I can think of is flying ants. However, ants are pretty common prey for VFTs and I haven't heard of them chomping out of traps. Also, if you've been getting the monsoon rains like here in Orlando, that's a common trigger for termite swarms.

You should really tell your landlord. If it's subterranean termites they'll want to get it checked out quickly. They can do massive damage if left unchecked.

As a homeowner, there are few things more chilling then seeing a swarm of termites coming out of the ground in front of your house. I've been there.
fuddmain liked this
By whatsgrowingon
fuddmain wrote:The only other thing I can think of is flying ants. However, ants are pretty common prey for VFTs and I haven't heard of them chomping out of traps. Also, if you've been getting the monsoon rains like here in Orlando, that's a common trigger for termite swarms.

You should really tell your landlord. If it's subterranean termites they'll want to get it checked out quickly. They can do massive damage if left unchecked.

As a homeowner, there are few things more chilling then seeing a swarm of termites coming out of the ground in front of your house. I've been there.
Thanks! I have noticed them in my apartment the last few days too! I thought they could be flying ants but they don't seem to have ant behavior. In fact I just checked and I found one half hanging out of a trap and sure enough he was grubbing out on the side of the trap where he was hanging out! little creeps are messing up my CP collection!! :evil:
By markus13
Nice post Roger! I wouldn't have known the difference. I don't have a problem with termites myself, but if I do at least I know what to look for now. Thanx! I agree, the pic looks like a termite to me.
By linton
We flying termites here every Summer, usually they swarm at night and there are so many that the bug zapper just can't keep up.
If we have our indoor lights on they will often find a way in and become a flying nuisance. When the swarms are emerging, we leave a bright light on outside and they are drawn to it rather than to the house lights (and my CP's).
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!