FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Zombie_walker
So I've noticed a slight decline in my Miranda Nepenthes health and I noticed a couple of teeny tiny little white bugs on it. I guessed they may be Thrips and quarantined it and went immediately to Orchards (a hardware store) to look for some Neem oil. I did not find any but I did find a spray that is supposed to kill Thrips and Spider Mites. I bought that one out of all the others because it said it was for organic vegetable growing, and you could spray it the day before harvesting your vegetables to eat. I figured if it was that safe for humans that it would be fine for my Neps as well. I put a small amount in a spray bottle mixed with distilled water and sprayed my Miranda with it. I have my fingers crossed that the bugs will be killed but my Miranda will not suffer any damage. I'm a little nervous for it though because it just barely recovered from sun burn and has some nice basal shoots coming up.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Im going through the same thing :| Every time I spray my nepenthes, they thrips seem to disappear but then after a few days, there seem to be more than ever! :( But I haven't noticed any burning or things like that from the spray...I got one that was for vegetables as well that killed spider mites and thrips, and a couple other pests.
Wikiwakawakawee liked this
By Zombie_walker
Thank you for sharing your experience! I looked through my other Neps with a magnifying glass and couldn't see any on them, I'm hoping I quarantined it fast enough so they didn't have time to infect my other Nepenthes. I think I will try spraying it with the diluted spray for the next few days. Then see if there's any by Sunday or so and keep checking for any burn as well.
By Wikiwakawakawee
I'm going to experiment with the dry ice method to eliminate all of them on Saturday, hopefully it'll work, but i'll let you know=)
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!