FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Panna
Is this ok to let happen? Will new growth just burst through and move it naturally?
Attachments:
rocks.PNG
rocks.PNG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 3652 times
By cjpflaumer
Usually new growth will move a piece or two of sand or perlite. Yours seems like a lot and it would be better if it was open. In my opinion you want the sun to hit the new growth. If it were my plant I would probably just move a bit with a toothpick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
cjpflaumer, cjpflaumer liked this
By nimbulan
It looks like you've been top watering far too much at a time. I would clear the perlite and peat off the crown and bottom-water the plant to prevent that from happening in the future. Being exposed to rain for a couple months will "harden" the surface of the soil so that doesn't happen anymore.
nimbulan liked this
By boarderlib
I agree. That isn't going to let the rhizome dry out as needed, and may eventually lead to rot with it blocking light and airflow.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Panna
Thanks for the responses guys! I cleared some big chunks of perlite from the rosette :)
By Big-Jack
Sometimes when you cover the bottom of the older outer leaves with media like in your picture (not the crown) it triggers new baby plants to propagate from the base of the covered leaves. I found that out by accident one time when I repotted a little too deep. Now I do it on purpose. 8-)
By uusa2000
Big-Jack wrote:Sometimes when you cover the bottom of the older outer leaves with media like in your picture (not the crown) it triggers new baby plants to propagate from the base of the covered leaves. I found that out by accident one time when I repotted a little too deep. Now I do it on purpose. 8-)
Interesting, explain this In detail. How far did you cover the leaves?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By Branmuffin
This shouldn't be any issue as I have dozens of plants that do the same thing after heavy watering. One thing I have done in the past is adding a thin layer of pure peat to the top of the pot as a top dressing and this will hold the perlite down instead of it floating around.
By Fishkeeper
I prefer sphagnum as a top dressing, partly because it doesn't get into the low-growing traps, and frankly I think it looks nicer.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!