FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Slowbomb
Quick question that I couldn't find directly answered anywhere else in the forum.

I am planning on using an orchid fertilizer on my neps. And for beginners I keep reading to half strength it at first, and follow the manufacturers instructions as a foiler feed and then maybe experiment with soil later. And I get that, but the manufacturers instructions say x amount "per gallon applied" and that is confusing me. I don't plan on applying a whole gallon of water on my plants. Does this just mean dilute with a gallon of water and use as needed, or do I need to specifically measure that ratio into my spray bottle?

Also, is there a shelf life on gallon of fertilizer after mixing? As in, if I kept the lid closed on the gallon jug, could I use it more than once or should I dump it out and remix for every application?

Thanks! :D
By Dionae
Does this just mean dilute with a gallon of water and use as needed
Yes
is there a shelf life on gallon of fertilizer after mixing?
Unless you add an airstone to keep the solution oxygenated, yes. The solution will eventually go stagnant. It will become full of anaerobic bacteria that would, most likely, kill your plant.
could I use it more than once or should I dump it out and remix for every application?
Without an airstone to add oxygen to the water I would either dump it or give it to any other plants I might have growing. Hope this helps and sorry I can't help on the solution strength questions.
By tzestan
1 gallon is 3785ml.
As long as the diluted concentration is correct, it is fine to either dilute with a gallon to x, or a portion of it.

Some examples, they are all the same.
3785ml to x
375ml to 10% x
37.5ml to 1% x
and so on...

Most of the time, x is small quantity. 1% x may not make sense because it is not easy to measure that amount.
For example, if x is 1ml. 1% x means 0.01ml which is hard to measure accurately.

You could take that amount in a few steps, instead of a whole gallon of water.

Take 1ml of fert. Add 9ml water. --> call it A.
Take 1ml of A. Add 9ml water. --> Call it B.
Take 1ml of B. This is 1% x.

Osmotic pressure of concentrated solution, say 10% or more, is hostile to most microbes, including algae. You could store concentrated solution anywhere for later use.

Diluted fertilizer is perfect for algae growth. If you want to keep it for later use, store at dark place. Algae can't grow in dark.
Probably airstones don't matter. Bacteria does not eat fertilizer. Only algae does.
tzestan liked this
By Dionae
Bacteria does not eat fertilizer. Only algae does.
Bacteria may not eat chemical ferts but there are lots of bacteria in organic fertilizer. Even if you concentrate a fert it will still go stagnant. Bacteria are very adaptable and live in a wide range of conditions.
By tzestan
Yes, I agree organic fertilizer will invite bacteria...:)
In the context of orchid fertilizer, it is usually inorganic for high solubility and easy plant absorbtion.
Probably a look at the package ingredient list could confirm.
tzestan liked this

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!