FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By lemonlily
As we all (most of us) know,the media (soil)should be peat moss. But What I'm trying to say is that there are different kinds of peat. WHAT???? Yup, there are different kinds.

Always look for the word 'Spagnum' on the package it comes from. Why? Because there is a kind of moss called "Michigan peat" and "sedge peat." They are entirely different from what we use, the Spagnum peat.

I am making this post because I believe that not a lot of us knew this and I realized that the "repotting" season is coming up! Yay!

I may sound like I know a lot about these things but... No! I will ask about soil too.
Does anyone know whats the difference between the three? (Peat moss)
What does 'sedge' mean?

Spagnum
If you have dried long fiber Spagnum and you want it to grow, you can put it in a plastic bag with a bit of water in it.
By theflytrapboy
you dont have to use peat. just saying. i try to grow in only spaghnum ( long fibered) and not use much peat. however, if running out, i will either chop up some old spaghnum to turn it into peat or just buy some premade peat
By dmagnan
so "peat" moss is only chopped up long fiber spaghnum? 'cause that's what I did when I transplanted
By 95slvrZ28
Sphagnum peat is decay(ed/ing) sphagnum moss. Milled/chopped sphagnum moss is different. It's usually less dense and is a lighter color. However, it is an acceptable potting medium.

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!