FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By jwbates26
Dionae wrote:You ever tried rooting cuttings of your japanese maple? Might be a good way to get more than one;).
parker679 wrote:I've thought about it but from my limited research it's supposed to be hard to do.
You may try Air Layering instead of trying to root cuttings. Quite a few years ago I had a Japanese Maple but a disgruntled ex poisoned it along with a couple orchids. I was thinking about trying to experiment with bonsai and JM are probably one of my favorite trees and I was thinking of starting one using a cutting off my maple. So I did some research and if I remember right air layering was the most successful way of rooting them. I tried but I don't' remember how it turned out or I forgot about it.
jwbates26 liked this
By parker679
jwbates26 wrote:
Dionae wrote:You ever tried rooting cuttings of your japanese maple? Might be a good way to get more than one;).
parker679 wrote:I've thought about it but from my limited research it's supposed to be hard to do.
You may try Air Layering instead of trying to root cuttings. Quite a few years ago I had a Japanese Maple but a disgruntled ex poisoned it along with a couple orchids. I was thinking about trying to experiment with bonsai and JM are probably one of my favorite trees and I was thinking of starting one using a cutting off my maple. So I did some research and if I remember right air layering was the most successful way of rooting them. I tried but I don't' remember how it turned out or I forgot about it.
I may give that a shot. The tree itself is still pretty small, maybe 4-5 feet. I currently grow it as what I'm calling semi-bonsai, basically keeping it in a container to keep the size down for now. It's been a couple years so I think it may be due for a root trimming which I'm not looking forward to given it's size and the weight of the container.

I'm sure you're over it by now but that sucks about your ex.

I agree with your on JM's though, they're one of my favorites as well.
parker679 liked this
By parker679
Matt wrote:
parker679 wrote:Blame Matt, if he did a better job keeping things out of stock I wouldn't have to buy them.
I take full responsibility for releasing the maniac ;)
Glad I have that in writing so I know where to send my wife next time she asks about all the plants. :lol:

xr280xr wrote:Way to take one for the team, Parker!
It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I know what a pain it can be for people to repot, water, and make room for plants so I do what I can to ease their burden.
Dionae wrote:Looks like VFTs are to you what sarrs are to me lol. Whats the weather like down your way?
LoL, you'd think that. Really though my entire VFT collection only takes up a fraction of the space the sarrs do. I have a addictive personality and VFT's last year were like a mini addiction within the whole carnivorous plant addiction. Plus I come to this forum several times a day and usually browse the store a few times to see if anything is in stock. Or there is a cultivar I never really considered and then Matt posts some sick pictures of it. And it's silly to just order one plant since the shipping really doesn't go up whether you order one or three.

Let's be honest though, can any of us really compete with your Sarr addiction? :D

The weather here is indecisive. In two weeks the highs went from the low 60's to the mid 80's and back down to the low 60's again. This was the US temps around 1pm last Saturday. What is that?!?

By parker679
Finally got the division of Adrian Slack I've been lusting over. Great x-mas gift from my wife. :D :mrgreen: :D

In addition to that I added:

S. 'Reptilian Rose'
S. flava ornata "Black Veins"
S. flava ornata "Improved Black Veins"
S. purp venosa from Tattnall, GA

Additionally I just started strat on the following:

Leucophylla "White Top Green & veined", Perdido : L20 X Flava Rubricorpora (Cedric AZAIS) (olive84)
Leucophylla Red & White very stocky Autumn Pitcher Plant originally brought in by Dave Taylor, late 70s (Mking L64) (LE 44 RVL) X Flava "Tall" (olive84)
Leucophylla-Typical Green & White- Okaloosa Co.Florida (Terry Stanson) : L33 X Flava Ornata -- super Ornata (CK) (SFO02 CA) (olive84)
"Wilkerson's Red" X flava ornata (BG)
"Bud Wilkerson X 'Adrian Slack' (BG)
flava artro, Cook's Bayou, FL X Leuco "Red Velvet", Bagdad FL (BG)
Mixed OP (BG)
flava cuprea selfed (jwbates)
Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!