FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
I believe it's been over a year since I last had a pinguicula flower, so I thought it'd be nice to start a topic to track the progress of it. Something I never took the time to realize was how these flowers start as white, but then develop their pigmentation as they grow... it would seem pinguicula give us a rare opportunity to watch the development of colour within the bud itself; other plants I've observed (though not professionally) usually only show a hint of colour as the buds swell and begin to open rather than during the entire process of flowering. Another reason I just love these plants...

You can also see the mucus producing hairs on the flower stalk. Oh, if the title didn't give it away, this is a Pinguicula 'Tina'. :lol: I'll see about updating every few days, health permitting.

Grey, Grey liked this
By Grey
It's been three days of glorious sunshine and the bud is becoming more vibrant as it fills with colour; the second flower stalk has grown quite a bit as well, and you can now see a flush of purple in the bud. Such bright sunshine this morning!

Grey, Grey, Grey liked this
By Grey
First flower has been open about three days now, second will open in the next day or two. The flower has tilted as it's grown towards the window; the whole thing is covered in tiny, delicate hairs. I don't believe all of them are mucus producing, just the ones on the greenery of the bud... although, looking at the photo, it looks like light is reflecting off something on the bud itself. Could just be the hairs rather than mucus, because the lighting is a bit that way at the moment, but hey. It's purty.

Grey, Grey liked this
By Grey
Thank you Dionae! Excitedness. The second flower bloomed around three days ago, just got around to taking photos. I peeled back the side of the second flower to try and grab pollen, it's either too soon or I've missed it (didn't get any pollen). Here's a photo anyway.

Couple others; the second flower is a bit different to the first.

Grey liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!