FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By vanillaXtiffy
Well, the two huge leaves that my plant had way back when I bought it have started to die this week. They lived a lot longer than expected and I have many many newly growing leaves, so they leave behind a good legacy. The traps are all dead and used up, but there's still a bit of green in them. So I picked one of them today and it has that little bit of white at the bottom and I planted it outside in my garden in an area that's always moist. I'm not expecting much, but I figured why waste it, plus I have no more space in my window for more pots to try in the house. I'm gonna do the same with the other leaf, but it still has a lot of green on it so I'm keeping it on the main plant til it gets mostly black.

On the offchance it does grow, I'll either bring it inside in the winter or invent some kind of vented hood to keep it warm and retain sunlight without burning it to death. Who knows what the future might bring!

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, what happened?
By kevinqwe
well if you are gonna plant it in your garden, is there any peat moss? wil it be watered by the sprinklers or by rainwater?
By mktamin
Do you mean planting your VFT in-ground in your garden, or placing the pot outdoors in your garden? Planting it in-ground won't work because even if the area with the VFT is made up of peat moss, nutrients may seep in from the surrounding soil.
By vanillaXtiffy
It's a spot in my grass that is well watered and nothing ever grows, not even grass though we've planted things there before and nothing ever grew. Also keep in mind that I'm not taking a whole plant and putting it out there, it's just a cutting of a mostly dead leaf with some green still on it. I didn't want to just throw it away so I decided to try this. If it doesn't work it's not like a killed a plant. I would have had to throw it out anyway.
By watnazn
If your growing it outside directly on the normal dirt, theres almost a 100% chance it will fail (unless you have a swamp in your backyard) They need special care.
By vanillaXtiffy
I'm more than certain it won't work. But what's the worst that can happen? A dead leaf will stay dead? Oh no! =P

But if it did work then that would be something else and I'd get another plant without taking up window space.
By Adam
I'm now not waisting anything from the cultivars that I have. Each about-to-die leaf is pulled off and stuck in damp LFS under grow lights. The more plants I have the better :) especially the different cultivars.

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!