FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By dantt99
Someone requested we start an Osmocote thread. Here you can post your experience with Osmocote, what plants you have used it on, successfully or unsuccessfully. I, and others would love to hear. :D Thanks ahead! :D
dantt99 liked this
By Matt
I've only used it in Cephalotus pitchers with success. I tried placing one on a Drosera leaf, but it burned the leaf. I drop one pellet in nearly each open pitcher on my adult Cephalotus as the pitchers open.

They can also be used in the soil for Sarracenia. See this experiment and writeup by John Brittnacher, treasurer and seed bank manager of the ICPS:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/ ... zation.php
Matt liked this
By CPgrower
Hurray, Daniel! I just went out to the store and got some Osmocote and was going to post, but you did the job!
Here is what it was used on starting today:

One large pellet in one N. sanguinea pitcher.
One medium pellet in one N. ampullaria x Sibuyanensis 'Red'

When the Ceph opens, one will go into it as well. :)
CPgrower liked this
By dantt99
Cool! I need to get some. I'll try Home Depot. It's not really top priority now. I've got many better things to focus on. I also just got a TDS meter, so I'm cleared out of cash to spend on CPs as of now. I'll try to get it by spring. I'm curious to see how your neps do! Can't wait for some results :D!
By snapperhead51
One of our world wide known nep nursery here in AU uses there own coco chips as mix for there young potted up neps and in that they use Osmocote mixed in with it to give the young potted up nep's a boost !! but dont over do it , it can not be used when Sphagnum moss is used as the potting strata or mix , is why they use the coco chips , that can all so add higher proportions of nitrogen in , wich will kill the sphag off very quickly !!
J
snapperhead51 liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!