FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By MichaelG
I ordered a potted cephalotus and a 5-plant mystery box! I'm excited to see them when they arrive TOMORROW!

Leah, Matt and Steve are always very speedy and I'm always extremely happy with the plants I receive!

I'll update with photos as soon as the plants get here. I did have a question though- how is your setup for the cephalotus? I don't want to put it out in the pool area because it gets down to about 45-50 at night in there (20 outside of the pool area) but I don't really have any windowsills I can use for plants. My exuberant labradoodle is far too excited about new things on windowsills, and she has already knocked a few plants down. The Wacky Traps I got a couple months ago got knocked down but is doing fine anyway, thanks to its amazingly huge root system Matt grew! By the way, every single plant I have bought from the FTS in the last year or so has been doing extremely well. I'm very happy!

Anywho, I'll post pictures later!
MichaelG liked this
By markus13
Don't worry about the ceph, it can easily take 45 - 50 F at night. I have mine from the FTS in a terrarium for most of the winter because I live in Wisconsin, but right now I have it on a drafty windowsill (temp 40-75) with only natural light to get it back on a light cycle so I can put it outside when the weather gets better. Cephs can actually handle light frosts from what I've heard, but I've never put mine through those conditions.
By MichaelG
I have been tracking my order, and it says that it departed the sorting facility here in Raleigh today, and the estimated delivery time is today. I got all my other mail, but I did not get a package :(

What could have happened? Do they make a separate trip for packages?
By DTDream18
MichaelG wrote:I have been tracking my order, and it says that it departed the sorting facility here in Raleigh today, and the estimated delivery time is today. I got all my other mail, but I did not get a package :(

What could have happened? Do they make a separate trip for packages?
I get a lot of packages through the USPS. When you're tracking the package it has to say "Out for delivery" for you to get the package delivered on that day. You'll probably get it tomorrow.
By MichaelG
Awesome! I have off work tomorrow too, so I'll be waiting for my package when I get home from class! I went to Home Depot today to get more peat moss and some Acephate, and there were little limp flytraps in death cubes. Of course I had to get them.
By MichaelG
The package came today! YAY! The tracking never did say "Out for Delivery" though. It just said that it had left the sorting facility yesterday. Even today the "estimated delivery date" was for yesterday. Oh, well.

The box was a little beaten up, so I was a little bit worried before I opened it!

This is after I had taken some of the newspaper out already.

My cephalotus! My first cephalotus ever!

And my mystery box! 2 bristle tooth, 1 Czech giant, 1 Vigorous, and 1 seed-grown!

Check out those roots!! It might have gotten a bit cold, but it will be fine.

THANKS SO MUCH! I'm thrilled and absolutely love them all.
MichaelG liked this
By markus13
WOW! I feel sorry for that shipping box. It looks like it was used as a soccer ball, but the main thing is it held up well enough to keep your plants safe. Nice Ceph and mystery box, congrats!
By Steve_D
Wow-- The US Postal Service unleashed its gorillas on that box! Glad the plants made it safely, Michael. Be sure to remove the plastic wrap carefully from around the Cephalotus. The plants look great. :)
By MichaelG
I did! I LOVE this cephalotus. It's sitting on my side table beside me right now while I watch TV. I'll set up his new fluorescent light and everything tonight and he will begin living there in the morning!

I absent-mindedly grabbed the cephalotus and tried to drink out of it, though... my drink was the cup NEXT to the plant...

MichaelG liked this
By jht-union
Good grab and nice deal! :)

For the ceph, well in my case using a big pot(10inch pot), my ceph grows outside with the vft's and the sarras and other temperate cp's. Even with the temp of 18F we had a while ago, and recently with the 22f we have been having, still the plant looks fairly healthy and happy and doesn't shows any source of damage at all. You migth want to wait until the plant is settle, and repot later on, or just be careful taking it out of the fts pot so that you don't disturb the roots, place in a 10-bigger pot, and you should be good to go, no need for lights or growing it as indoors. :)

Good luck! :)
By jwbates26
Congratulations on a great order. Your ceph. looks amazing. Not bad for your first one. please keep us updated on the progress of your plants.
By Dubstep13
jht-union wrote:Good grab and nice deal! :)

For the ceph, well in my case using a big pot(10inch pot), my ceph grows outside with the vft's and the sarras and other temperate cp's. Even with the temp of 18F we had a while ago, and recently with the 22f we have been having, still the plant looks fairly healthy and happy and doesn't shows any source of damage at all. You migth want to wait until the plant is settle, and repot later on, or just be careful taking it out of the fts pot so that you don't disturb the roots, place in a 10-bigger pot, and you should be good to go, no need for lights or growing it as indoors. :)

are your Cephs getting as much (Sun)light as your Sarras? about how much Direct sun?
By jht-union
Dubstep13 wrote:
jht-union wrote:Good grab and nice deal! :)

are your Cephs getting as much (Sun)light as your Sarras? about how much Direct sun?

They get as much sunlight as the sarras, vft's and other cp's. But remember we are talking about winter sun, when summer comes and we get the nasty humidity here and sun, then i might put them in a shadier location. But. For the moment they are doing perfectly fine and this shows how strong cephs are as far as resistance.
By Komrad
I have mine on a windowsill on my third floor, in a west facing window I believe. It is loving the light and growing like a weed. I keep the third floor around 68 degrees during the winter and 75-78ish during the summer.
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!