Opinions on my built-in

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants
User Avatar
aarolar

 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Opinions on my built-in

by aarolar » Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 pm

We have some built-in shelves in our living room and I had the idea to use it to display some plants both carnivorous and other. I ordered this light off the net and this is what I have going so far. Will it work? If in can make it work well I can add timers and fans to improve or if I have a silly idea tell me. Ideally I would like to do at least one on each side maybe more if I end up with enough plants.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
Hungry Plants

 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 am
Location: Connecticut
Thanked: 196 times in 177 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by Hungry Plants » Thu May 04, 2017 12:42 am

Depending on what you want to put in there the light might be too far away. Definitely too far for VFT and sundews .

User Avatar
aarolar

 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by aarolar » Thu May 04, 2017 11:10 am

Hungry Plants wrote:Depending on what you want to put in there the light might be too far away. Definitely too far for VFT and sundews .

How close would the sundews need to be I want to do some landscaping in there so I could use rocks or something to raise them up. I would eventually like to use this area to display a cephalotus.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
boarderlib

 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Thanked: 570 times in 405 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by boarderlib » Thu May 04, 2017 3:19 pm

aarolar wrote:How close would the sundews need to be I want to do some landscaping in there so I could use rocks or something to raise them up. I would eventually like to use this area to display a cephalotus.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


This is determined by what kind of lighting that is. Example T8 as close as you can possibly get it. T5 HO roughly 4-10 inches, your reflector setup will make a difference in the distance. High quality LED's 12-18 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
aarolar

 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by aarolar » Thu May 04, 2017 3:22 pm

boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote:How close would the sundews need to be I want to do some landscaping in there so I could use rocks or something to raise them up. I would eventually like to use this area to display a cephalotus.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


This is determined by what kind of lighting that is. Example T8 as close as you can possibly get it. T5 HO roughly 4-10 inches, your reflector setup will make a difference in the distance. High quality LED's 12-18 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is the light I have right now it's easy to add another if it's lacking they just use a little jumper between them.

https://www.sunblasterlighting.com/grow ... r-24-inch/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
boarderlib

 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Thanked: 570 times in 405 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by boarderlib » Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 pm

aarolar wrote:This is the light I have right now it's easy to add another if it's lacking they just use a little jumper between them.

https://www.sunblasterlighting.com/grow ... r-24-inch/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


You can add as many as you want, but light dissipates in strength the further away from the bulb you get. So my suggestion would be to get the plants raised up some, maybe a false wooden bottom. That way you don't lose the charm of the overall setup. I like the wooden rustic look. . If you shoot for between 6-8" from the bulb to the top of the pots you should get decent coloring and pretty healthy growth.

One other suggestion would be to add some kind of reflector to focus the light down on the plants. As you can see in the second pic you're losing a lot of light out the front of the setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
aarolar

 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by aarolar » Thu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm

boarderlib wrote:One other suggestion would be to add some kind of reflector to focus the light down on the plants. As you can see in the second pic you're losing a lot of light out the front of the setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


I've actually made up some sheet metal pieces to do just that today at work, mainly to keep from being blinded while sitting in my recliner.

We like the rustic wood look as well but the house has way to much of that son we are trying to break it up with an industrial stainless look.


Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
boarderlib

 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Thanked: 570 times in 405 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by boarderlib » Thu May 04, 2017 4:20 pm

aarolar wrote:
I've actually made up some sheet metal pieces to do just that today at work, mainly to keep from being blinded while sitting in my recliner.


One thing to keep in mind for the reflector flat white is more reflective than polished/ unpolished sheet. I've done some pretty extensive reading, and a fair amount of testing on this subject since I'm always building reflectors and light setups.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
aarolar

 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by aarolar » Thu May 04, 2017 4:21 pm

boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote:
I've actually made up some sheet metal pieces to do just that today at work, mainly to keep from being blinded while sitting in my recliner.


One thing to keep in mind for the reflector flat white is more reflective than polished/ unpolished sheet. I've done some pretty extensive reading, and a fair amount of testing on this subject since I'm always building reflectors and light setups.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Never would have imagined that the reflector on the light is a mirror.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
boarderlib

 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Thanked: 570 times in 405 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by boarderlib » Thu May 04, 2017 4:44 pm

aarolar wrote:Never would have imagined that the reflector on the light is a mirror.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


I know, there is a material that the light manufactures use that is different from polished sheet. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called though. It is more reflective than even flat white, but for basic sheet that rule does apply about the flat white. I used 410 stainless and mild steel sheet and neither one were close to the reflectivity of the flat white.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
aarolar

 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by aarolar » Thu May 04, 2017 4:46 pm

boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote:Never would have imagined that the reflector on the light is a mirror.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


I know, there is a material that the light manufactures use that is different from polished sheet. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called though. It is more reflective than even flat white, but for basic sheet that rule does apply about the flat white. I used 410 stainless and mild steel sheet and neither one were close to the reflectivity of the flat white.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Neat trivia information, I'm using 14ga brushed SS sheets but I'll spray the backside flat white now that I know that. I'll post up a new image this afternoon after I get it installed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
boarderlib

 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Thanked: 570 times in 405 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by boarderlib » Thu May 04, 2017 5:19 pm

aarolar wrote:Neat trivia information, I'm using 14ga brushed SS sheets but I'll spray the backside flat white now that I know that. I'll post up a new image this afternoon after I get it installed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


I would be interested in seeing the difference between brushed stainless and typical sheet stainless both polished, and unpolished. I know if you use tin foil the dull side is more reflective, so would the brushed be more reflective, possibly enough to even kick flat white out of the equation? I better find me some brushed stainless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
aarolar

 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by aarolar » Fri May 05, 2017 12:16 am

boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote:Neat trivia information, I'm using 14ga brushed SS sheets but I'll spray the backside flat white now that I know that. I'll post up a new image this afternoon after I get it installed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


I would be interested in seeing the difference between brushed stainless and typical sheet stainless both polished, and unpolished. I know if you use tin foil the dull side is more reflective, so would the brushed be more reflective, possibly enough to even kick flat white out of the equation? I better find me some brushed stainless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's the updated pic it's hard to get a good shot of my deflector simply because the light washes the photo out.

The drosera is about 4" from the light and the pings and fly trap are about 6 right now. I think I'll move the fly trap outside this weekend it seems to be doing well.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
twitterglitter

 
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 pm
Location: Covington, Tennessee
Thanked: 89 times in 66 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by twitterglitter » Fri May 05, 2017 12:29 am

You used my method. If it's not close enough stick a book under it. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

User Avatar
boarderlib

 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Thanked: 570 times in 405 posts

Re: Opinions on my built-in

by boarderlib » Fri May 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Looks like you're well on your way. It appears like you need some more drosera to fill in those open spots.

When you put the fly trap outside you'll more than likely lose some traps, depending on how you acclimate it. It will adjust to the sun and be much happier in the long run though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Next

Return to Artificial Lighting

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest