FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Jaws
So 32 watts worth of light 6500K at that height from each plant is enough to grow CPs well ?
Sorry with so many questions, the above is what i am trying to get (if it is) as an answer from a professional grower.
By hackerberry
Amazing setup Matt! I only wish I have the room for more plants.

hb
By Matt
Jaws wrote:So 32 watts worth of light 6500K at that height from each plant is enough to grow CPs well ?
Not as well as in direct sunlight, but yes, they grow quite well with that amount of light. Remember that this is just a temporary stage for these plants. In a couple of months they'll make their way out to the greenhouses and ultimately be moved into direct sunlight on the patio. They'll grow in the greenhouses and on the patio (on good days) for the rest of their lives until they're ready for sale.

And remember that it's actually 128 watts of light in total on each shelf.
hackerberry wrote:Amazing setup Matt! I only wish I have the room for more plants.
Thanks Jun! Perhaps you need to move somewhere that you'll have more room ;)
By yinepu
Matt wrote:
yinepu wrote:What lights/bulbs are you using?
4 foot T8 6500K 32 watt "cool white" bulbs from Wal-Mart.
Each level has 4x32 watt bulbs, or 128 watts.
Thanks! That's exactly what I have (I thought for sure I had screwed up somewhere).
By Gothic TRAPS
Beautiful setup Matt :P ! What are your conditions like in that room such as air circulation, humidity or anything else vital to your plants health? They look stunning. I ask this because I know it can be challenging at times with indoor setups due to climate change and other related variables and I for one I can't wait for Spring so I can greenhouse my plants and then slowly work them to their propper outdoor growing conditions where they are much happier. Thanks for the 101 ;) .
By Matt
Gothic TRAPS wrote:What are your conditions like in that room such as air circulation, humidity or anything else vital to your plants health?
I have lots of fans running in the room (sounds like a wind tunnel most of the time). Humidity is pretty low at around 40%. Nothing else vital to their health other than the lighting and the water :)
Matt liked this
By JimsPlants
Thanks for posting these photos Matt, looks a great setup!

Nice to see you have a huge stock of Vft's. Do you ever think to yourself, where does it end?
By Matt
JimsPlants wrote:Do you ever think to yourself, where does it end?
Oh man...more than you'd ever guess. I feel overwhelmed now with all of the plants and cultures I have going. It feels like things are slowly spinning out of my control and I can't see how to get things under control. So much time and work invested...and so much more to do!
By Jaws
Matt wrote:
JimsPlants wrote:Do you ever think to yourself, where does it end?
Oh man...more than you'd ever guess. I feel overwhelmed now with all of the plants and cultures I have going. It feels like things are slowly spinning out of my control and I can't see how to get things under control. So much time and work invested...and so much more to do!
They are all business stock though ? think of the money they will make :D
By Matt
Jaws wrote:hey are all business stock though ? think of the money they will make :D
Yes, they're all business stock and they should represent a nice chunk of change....provided I can sell them all :) I'm hoping to sell locally at the farmer's markets and home and garden shows, but the main farmer's market in the area has a "jury" process where you have to be approved. And there is already a CP grower in the valley that's been here for over 10 years. I called them and they told me that they'd rather not have two CP retailers at the market. But he doesn't do TC, so I can provide a better selection and my plants are better too. It's just hard to get into a market where seniority counts....
Matt liked this
By victor
Those are beautiful, colorful, and amazing plants Matt.
CONGRATS!!!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!