FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundew boy
I got this from woon leng nursery in sg from Shawn. Its an ampullaria but not producing pitchers cos he accidentally fertillised it from the orchids he grew side by side. Please help it to pitcher.Image

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
By animalisterra
The orchid fertilizer should not have harmed the plant in any way unless it was overdosed. Lack of pitchers could be caused by low lighting, low humidity, or lack of nutrients. I also see that it is sitting in a tray of water. Nepenthes should only be watered when the soil is not moist to the touch.

This nepenthes is lowland. This means that it needs to be in daytime temperatures of 80-90 degrees with a nighttime temperature of low lower than 70. This is not the normal conditions of a house so I recommend putting it in a terrarium with some sort of heat source and high humidity.

I am not sure what the lighting conditions are but I would aim for 3 hours of direct sun.

Misting young pitchers can increase the humidity and increase the success rate of that pitcher.

Ironically, without pitchers, the plant cant produce nutrients which means no pitchers. You can use a high quality orchid or bromeliad fertilizer, and use only 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of fertilizer per gallon of water. This will boost your plants nutrients and may cause it to produce pitchers.
By tzestan
I would suggest flushing the medium with running water. The plant tolerates much lower fertilizer than regular plants.

Do you grow it indoor? Ampullaria prefers tropical lowland temperature and humidity. May just leave it outside in Sg. Keep it shaded from noon sunlight.
By nimbulan
Where are you growing it? If it's on that desk it isn't receiving anywhere near enough light and it may be to cool for it as well. The plant may also need some time to settle in.
By Huntsmanshorn
Just to make things a little more complicated a nep will often stop producing pitchers if it gets too much fertilizer.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!