FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Nats
Now that I want to buy, all the good growers and vendors are all sold out of the good stuff!! :cry:

Is there a particular time of the month in the US when everyone has full stock, or does it very?

It being May, I would think more stock would be available later end of summer, early fall before dormancy?
By David F
I disagree, there is plenty in stock of the "good stuff" you can get Dente, which has been popular since the dawn of time, Jaws, I've heard is a very nice cultivar, pink venus (exceptional color) I might have seen others, but those are all very nice, plus whats wrong with getting a very large typical?

Although to answer your question, you should sign up for the in stock notifications for FTS, then you can know when they go in stock, seems like Matt and Steve have been saying their busy lately and taking a little time off and enjoying themselves. I'm sure soon things will go back in stock. The real problem is people deplete their shelves of the "good cultivars" very quickly.
By frog
David is right about you should sign up for the in stock notifications for FTS. Good clones pop up everyday online but your going to pay a bit more from most seller other then the FTS. With the FTS it's more of a waiting game then paying a lot and luck of being online when they restock some stuff. Your right it being May more stuff is in stock then late summer your just not seeing it they pop up and sell out fast. I think the best time to find the hard to get is spring. All sellers seem to trickle stuff out over time and you got to be watching for it. What are you looking for? How much you got to spend on a plant $10 to $150 is what decides what cultivars you get and when. The good thing for you is the price is always dropping over time.
By Steve_D
David F wrote:The real problem is people deplete their shelves of the "good cultivars" very quickly.
That's very true. But there are lots of nice clones growing well that will be offered at FlytrapStore.com is soon as Matt and I think they are sale size, and while Matt has been concentrating on tissue culture and the Flytrap Store stock now reflects what I have available here in New Mexico, Matt will soon be adding inventory to FlytrapStore.com from his greenhouses in Oregon, which means that a greater variety of Flytrap clones will soon be available. And as you say, there's nothing wrong with the slightly cheaper and already widely distributed Venus Flytrap clones: they're widely distributed for a reason: they're interesting and nice. :D

In addition, one of our rarely tapped resources is all the unique seed-grown plants we have. It's pot-luck as far as what growing habit, appearance and color a person will get, but they are great for adding genetic diversity to a collection, and some of them look as impressive as named clones. In addition, many of the "unique seed-grown Venus Flytraps" are larger (more mature) than many of our stock of named clones, so a person is likely to get a mature Venus Flytrap for less money than a young named clone.
By dantt99
Matt & Steve, how's that FTS Exclusive Store coming? That sounded awesome when I heard first about it :D
By Steve_D
dantt99 wrote:Matt & Steve, how's that FTS Exclusive Store coming? That sounded awesome when I heard first about it
The infrastructure for FlytrapStore.com Exclusive is set up and ready to be used, but there is nothing offered in it at the moment. We plan to use it to sell dormant plants to those growers and Forum members who understand about dormancy and how it affects plant size and growth (the general public sees a small plant that doesn't grow fast and may (well, they often do) feel cheated), and specials like early introductions for sale of Venus Flytrap clones developed by our own breeding program, or special plants such as an initial batch of Heliamphora from tissue culture or something.

Anyway, FlytrapStore.com Exclusive is ready to go as soon as we want to use it. Access to it will probably be restricted to Forum members and perhaps some other persons, and may be by registration only. Our goal is to keep it hidden from the general public (we don't want to deal with all the questions, complaints and disappointments that inexperienced growers might have) and limit it to only experienced growers and enthusiasts who know what they're doing and know what to expect. :D
Steve_D, Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:Matt will soon be adding inventory to FlytrapStore.com from his greenhouses in Oregon, which means that a greater variety of Flytrap clones will soon be available. And as you say, there's nothing wrong with the slightly cheaper and already widely distributed Venus Flytrap clones: they're widely distributed for a reason: they're interesting and nice. :D
Yes, I'll be adding some inventory to the store soon, including some B52s and other highly sought after clones.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but others have already made good points about the fact that many of the readily available VFTs are so easily available for good reason -- they're quite nice!

Also, there are quite a few really nice clones available in the FTS right now that aren't readily available everywhere. I think that Steve and I are the only people offering the officially registered cultivar 'Jaws' and it is an amazing plant; one of my favorite, in fact, with really large traps and excellent coloration.

But if there is a particular clone that you're looking for, as Steve already mentioned, we put plants in stock as they come ready for sale. Just sign up to get notified when they're back in stock and try to get one before they sell out :)
Matt liked this
By Nats
Thanks Matt,
are you the FTS guy?

I did sign up for the news letter and saw that you have B52's in stock again, so I just ordered one :)

I guess it's normal for newbies like me to want the plants with large traps, but some of the others are
really nice and I will want a veriety as I gain experience.

I'm the guy who just made 2 orders of 4 large VFT pots and someone was affraid I had made a mistake
and duplicated my order, which I thought was very considerate. :)

Thanks again, and I am excitted as a little kid to receive my new plants :)

I am very confident that I will do well with them.
Nats liked this
By Matt
Nats wrote:Thanks Matt,
are you the FTS guy?
Well, Steve has been the FTS guy for the last 6 weeks or so. Steve and I run the FTS together. I have been busy with TC work this spring and am out of town right now, so I've only filled a few orders recently. I'll be taking the store over again in a week or so.
Nats wrote:I guess it's normal for newbies like me to want the plants with large traps, but some of the others are really nice and I will want a veriety as I gain experience.
Everyone loves big traps. I like them too, but I actually prefer the flytraps that are easily identifiable at first glance. There are so many large trapped clones out there now (Low Giant, B52, Southwest Giant, Dingley Giant, G16, Megatraps, etc.) that I'm not all that excited by them and if you planted all of them in the same pot, I'd bet that most people wouldn't be able to tell them apart. B52 gets touted as having the "largest traps" and for that reason it is the most highly sought after flytrap. But I don't have a single one in my collection this year (and I have perhaps several hundred of them) that have traps as large as most of my other giant clones. I'm sure by the end of the growing season that won't be true however. It's just odd to me that clones like Jaws and Low Giant will often get overlooked because they'll have traps that are perhaps a few millimeters smaller on average than B52 traps.
Nats wrote:I am very confident that I will do well with them.
OK, great!
By dantt99
Speaking of overlooked clones, I actually prefer Big Mouth over B52, because it produces traps just about as large, and it also colors up very nicely :)
My favorite clone of all time is still Red Piranha, and the one FTS [Matt] sent me is absolutely beautifully deep red right now :D I'll have to snap some more pics soon :D
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:Speaking of overlooked clones, I actually prefer Big Mouth over B52, because it produces traps just about as large, and it also colors up very nicely :)
I do too Daniel, for the same exact reasons as you. Big Mouth never fails to color up incredibly well for me and it consistently produces large traps. Those the same reasons that Jaws is higher on my list of favorite plants than B52; it always colors up well, produces really nice sized traps and it also has the dente-like cilia :)
dantt99 wrote:My favorite clone of all time is still Red Piranha
It is one of my favorites too. We have similar taste in flytraps Daniel. But I think I like the freaky flytraps a lot more than you do :D
Matt liked this
By dantt99
Matt wrote: But I think I like the freaky flytraps a lot more than you do
Haha, I agree. I still like them, but they aren't my favorite, they just seem a bit weird, if you know what I mean ;)
By jamez
Matt wrote:
dantt99 wrote:Speaking of overlooked clones, I actually prefer Big Mouth over B52, because it produces traps just about as large, and it also colors up very nicely :)
I do too Daniel, for the same exact reasons as you. Big Mouth never fails to color up incredibly well for me and it consistently produces large traps. Those the same reasons that Jaws is higher on my list of favorite plants than B52; it always colors up well, produces really nice sized traps and it also has the dente-like cilia :)
dantt99 wrote:My favorite clone of all time is still Red Piranha
It is one of my favorites too. We have similar taste in flytraps Daniel. But I think I like the freaky flytraps a lot more than you do :D
Jaws is indeed a nice plant. Have you noticed Big Mouths wider cilia?
By Nats
I like the Red Piranha plants too (though I have only seen pics).
That will be my next buy.

Do you guys have any nice medium or large ones in stock at the store?

What are those you are selling on FleaBay that are really dark red and cost a lot of $$?

Maroon Monster or something?
How did you get that? I mean, what plants did you cross to get something like that?

I checked out the auctions, and folks seem to be willing to part with some serious cash to
get one ;)
They do look really neat.

I have a nice planter box on the side of my house, it is wide and deep enough to put tall VFT pots
in it, and only the tops would be exposed to the sun, keeping the pots from getting too hot.

I am thinking of filling it about 1/3 with gravel to set the pots in and not get knocked over.
And it has drainage holes.

Does anyone use those X-large soda cups made of plastic for potting?

My cousin always buys those at McDonalds, 7Eleven, etc, and they are the perfect depth.
Just put some holes in the bottom, and you have a cheap VFT pot :)
By Matt
Nats wrote:Do you guys have any nice medium or large ones in stock at the store?
Steve is managing inventory in the store right now. If he puts a plant in stock, you can bet that it's a nice one.
Nats wrote:What are those you are selling on FleaBay that are really dark red and cost a lot of $$?
That's our own clone raised from seed and propagated in tissue culture that we've named "FTS Maroon Monster" (the FTS stands for FlytrapStore). We don't know the exact parentage because the seed was from a general mix of seed that I bought from Steve in 2008 when he was running FlytrapRanch.com. My guess is that it's a Low Giant x Pink Venus because it looks like a combination of those two plants most of the time with vigorous growth and large traps, though it does put out some upright spring growth which neither Low Giant nor Pink Venus does. It's a very nice plant and one of my favorites.
Nats wrote:Does anyone use those X-large soda cups made of plastic for potting?
Those do make good pots. An even better pot is one that is made out of styrofoam because it helps keep the soil temperature more stable.
Matt liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!