FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jaws
I had a few rescue VFT (were quid each and slightly suffering) from Homebase (Lowes) :P, about 3 weeks ago
--------------------------------------------------
"Im lucky i have a south facing large lounge window, (at the moment they are in a large shallow trough, i repotted them all into), however i plan to get a table and make a
sort of indoor bog (i have no garden to attempt outside) , and combine them with some Pitchers, Sundews, and Butterworts.

They are all growing new leaves and even flowers (i cut these off), i am chuffed to bits , as i thought only five of them stood any chance of survival.

I used dead spaghnum moss combined with Perlite for my medium (years ago i just kept the plants in the pots i bought them in), im not sure if this is a good mix, but saying that they are thriving."

(quote above from Introduce thread, for info)

-----------------------------------------------------------

The one in photo (yes my cam is not good) seems ok the traps its already grown, all the others are still growing good, but this one the small new leaf growing in the middle has died (not visible in photo, the bit in middle showing is just compost)

Can a new growth die like that and new ones continue or does the fact there seems to be no new leaves coming from centre mean it could be dying, id have thought the outer 'good' leaves would die first ?

Any info/hunches please, cheers ?
By Jaws
Ok, i didnt want to after 3 weeks only repotting them, but i decided to lift this one out and take a look.

The rhizome was perfect and lots of good new white root growth, only the leaf in question that was starting to grow was starting to shrivel (so i nipped it off to avoid any further spread)

I looked to the side of the rhizome and 2 new leaves were starting to grow, but had started below the compost, i didnt know this was possible.
Does the VFT prefer to grow new leaves from the centre, but can grow anywhere around the rhizome ?

They are definately on the parent and are not a new plant.
I replanted it back with these new leaves slightly above the compost.

At least i know that i have my medium and light/watering on the ball, so wasnt a total waste of lifting it.

I left the thread up in case anyone else (new starters) have the same issue.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!