FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
FlytrapStore, Leah and I were recently featured in SWIMMER magazine, published by USMS Masters swimming. I've been swimming since late 2011 and have really gotten into the sport, so this is really cool for me (and for FlytrapStore) to have been afforded this opportunity! Pretty exciting!

I've extracted the pages that contain the article from the magazine. Pretty cool we made it on the front page!
SWIMMER cover.jpg
SWIMMER cover.jpg (279.31 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
SWIMMER article.jpg
SWIMMER article.jpg (194.59 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
SWIMMER article 1.jpg
SWIMMER article 1.jpg (370.26 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
SWIMMER article 2.jpg
SWIMMER article 2.jpg (434.66 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
SWIMMER article 3.jpg
SWIMMER article 3.jpg (195.79 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
Matt, Matt, Matt and 6 others liked this
By Abeginner
Congratulations that's awesome..

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk
Abeginner liked this
By Kwient
Gratz on your article :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Kwient liked this
By evenwind
Wow!
evenwind liked this
By pieguy452
Wow congrats, Matt, that's awesome!!!! Really put a smile on my face reading this article :)
pieguy452 liked this
By xr280xr
Congrats! That's awesome. Much better than making the no fly list. Sorry they got the URL wrong! I didn't know about your bike wreck. Glad you survived and recovered!

So nice of you to give me a shoutout, too:
...Some people consider them weeds, they're that easy to grow", he says.
:lol:

Have you heard of the book Eat Right 4 Your Type? "Type" refers to your blood type. My wife's boss gave it to her to read a couple weeks ago. My initial reaction was, "psshh, that sounds like a BS idea", but some of the recommendations actually match up to what she and I have naturally found make us feel better (which are totally different foods for each of us) so now I'm intrigued. Whether its based on your blood type or not, I think there is something to different people benefiting from or being hampered by the same foods.
Last edited by xr280xr on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xr280xr liked this
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:Have you heard of the book Eat Right 4 Your Type?
Yeah, I read some of that book, I think, a few years ago about the same time I made my diet change. I should pick it up again to be sure, but from what I remember it seemed to be very "loose" science. My decisions are more influenced by large sets of data and statistics. Also, intuitively, it doesn't really make sense to me that people's blood types would have any affect on what they should be eating. But the foods suggested in that book for each blood type are generally healthier than what most people in America eat, so I can see how it would benefit most people. And I remember searching for peer-reviewed scientific articles to back the blood-type diet theory and I couldn't find any, but could find some large-scale studies that found no data to support the theory.
By xr280xr
Ya, it struck me as the astrology of nutritional books. Makes no sense, but oddly accurate about some things :lol: Of course I haven't read it yet, just parts of it.
Matt wrote:But the foods suggested in that book for each blood type are generally healthier than what most people in America eat, so I can see how it would benefit most people.
Ya, I think "avoid MSG" was listed for all blood types and a few others like that. What made me think of you was I think you mentioned you avoid dairy because it causes inflammation, and this book was recommending certain types not eat it and others do so I've been wondering if that's only true for some people or true for some people more than others. I tried giving up dairy for a month a while back and didn't notice a difference other than really wanting dairy. Granted, that's a pretty short period of evaluation. Anyway, sorry for the tangent, this is about your article!
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:Ya, I think "avoid MSG" was listed for all blood types and a few others like that.
Yeah, that makes complete sense.
xr280xr wrote:What made me think of you was I think you mentioned you avoid dairy because it causes inflammation, and this book was recommending certain types not eat it and others do so I've been wondering if that's only true for some people or true for some people more than others.
I've read a lot about dairy and how it affects the human body. It might be the worst thing that humans can eat! Granted, I do still treat myself to cheese from time to time (not at home, but when I'm out with friends or at a friend's house), but there are many, many diseases very strongly correlated to dairy consumption. If I were to recommend one thing to avoid completely, dairy would be it.
xr280xr wrote:I tried giving up dairy for a month a while back and didn't notice a difference other than really wanting dairy.
What I've read is that anytime one takes something out of their diet, their body craves it for quite a while. But eventually those cravings go away and your body craves whatever it is eating regularly more than something that it hasn't had in a very long time.
xr280xr wrote:Anyway, sorry for the tangent, this is about your article!
No! I enjoy the discussion of these things!
By HuxTraps
Matt, that is really special being featured in a magazine and a cool pic of you swimming! I tried Crossfit for a month a while back but being 62 (and 30 years older than the rest of the class) I was way out of my league. Made me realize how out of shape I had become. Keep the swimming up! You will definitely appreciate it when you're older.
We're all proud of you and Leah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HuxTraps liked this
By Matt
HuxTraps wrote:Matt, that is really special being featured in a magazine and a cool pic of you swimming! I tried Crossfit for a month a while back but being 62 (and 30 years older than the rest of the class) I was way out of my league. Made me realize how out of shape I had become. Keep the swimming up! You will definitely appreciate it when you're older.
We're all proud of you and Leah.
Thanks so much for the very kind words, HuxTraps! I sincerely appreciate it!!!

And good for you trying out the Crossfit class. That's a serious endeavor. Have you decided to tray any other athletic endeavors since then? Masters swimming is welcoming to anyone at any level. Even those who don't swim should be able to find an adult learn-to-swim class near them if they want to get started and then eventually transition into a workout group. I absolutely love swimming and can't imagine my life without it now. Many people who are masters swimmers say the same. It's a great workout and a great social outlet too.
By HuxTraps
I was into body building 30 years ago but life has a way of getting in the way. Both my daughters had serious illnesses so I focused all my energy into helping them. My wife and I are getting into juicing lately and doing some hiking. You got me thinking about swimming though. It would be a great form of exercise for my wife and me to start.
Thanks, again, for your (and Leah's) great work and example. I love my new hobby, growing Flytraps. You guys are a class act!

HuxTraps liked this
By bvalente
Wow Matt!!! That's so awesome!!

bvalente liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!