FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lucy
Ok I rescued this plant from the Lowe's Death Cube. Not much of it left. It consists of two small leaves (<2 inches), and that's it. Whatever was in the center is broken off. However, it appears to be healthy-ish. At least the leaves seem to be a healthy color and are fairly sturdy. I have no idea what kind of Nep it is. The label on the Cube only says 'tropical pitcher'.

So will this thing grow more leaves? Regrow the thing in the center?

I have it in a terrarium (I know, I know) in its own pot. It's nested in LFS. It sits by a S/SW facing window and has a CFL.

Is there something I need to do to give it a boost?
By Aging_Bourbon
Well That's awesome you rescued the plant!
Lucy wrote:So will this thing grow more leaves? Regrow the thing in the center?
Can you take a picture to clarify what it is that you're talking about? I'm sure the plant will be okay if you provide the plant with the right conditions! Just read My caresheet and it should help you out a bit with the "basic" care. Well most Nepenthes don't need "Terrariums" I'm sure you can do without it. Just try to acclimate to direct sunlight if that is possible so the plant will have more energy.

Allen,
By Matt
Lucy wrote:So will this thing grow more leaves? Regrow the thing in the center?

I have it in a terrarium (I know, I know) in its own pot. It's nested in LFS. It sits by a S/SW facing window and has a CFL.

Those sound like pretty good conditions. Just be careful with the terrarium and mold. If it's going to make it, those conditions should allow it to. And yes, Nepenthes grow new leaves from the center growth point, but sometimes they will start new growth points lower down on the main stalk.
By Lucy
Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to take pics. I'll try not to fiddle with it too much, and see what it's going to do.
By Veronis
Lucy wrote:Ok I rescued this plant from the Lowe's Death Cube. Not much of it left. It consists of two small leaves (<2 inches), and that's it. Whatever was in the center is broken off. However, it appears to be healthy-ish. At least the leaves seem to be a healthy color and are fairly sturdy. I have no idea what kind of Nep it is. The label on the Cube only says 'tropical pitcher'.

So will this thing grow more leaves? Regrow the thing in the center?

A Nep from a Lowe's Death cube is a Nepenthes Ventricosa (hardy highland species that can often grow in lowland conditions, very easy nep).

Ventricosa don't need a terrarium for sure, and direct sunlight on a terrarium might turn that terrarium into an oven and cook your plant.

I have a Ventricosa, no terrarium, and it is growing very well and producing pitchers. Airy soil mix (LFS is ok for now) that is well-drained and don't let it sit in a tray of water - they don't like a ton of water. They do like a lot of light and moving air. It will adapt to your house humidity in 1-2 weeks and you should see some growth if it is healthy.

Good luck.
By girlzano167
I have always wondered why my lowes don't have these, so I went to my local lowes and was about to give up looking for them, and then I saw some tropical looking plants inside. As soon as I walked in I saw the cubes. The lady at the store told me that I could buy the small ones for $1 and the big ones for $2, but I didn't want north american plants since it is winter and they need dormancy, so I just got a nepenthes(ventricosa right?)

Anyways it is really small, the leaves are very soft, but a nice green color. I was going to slowly take it out of the cube but I got impatient after work and I just took it out.

So I was wondering, should I repot this? The pot isn't too small right now, the pitchers would probably have hung over the edge of the pot if they weren't in a cube.

Also it looks like it is in LFS. The LFS is green so does this mean it is alive?

This is very exciting my nepenthes sanguinea I got from a nursury and it was already in a 4 inch pot but this one is like a little baby plant.
By dionaea muscipula
girlzano167 wrote:I have always wondered why my lowes don't have these, so I went to my local lowes and was about to give up looking for them, and then I saw some tropical looking plants inside. As soon as I walked in I saw the cubes. The lady at the store told me that I could buy the small ones for $1 and the big ones for $2, but I didn't want north american plants since it is winter and they need dormancy, so I just got a nepenthes(ventricosa right?)

Anyways it is really small, the leaves are very soft, but a nice green color. I was going to slowly take it out of the cube but I got impatient after work and I just took it out.

So I was wondering, should I repot this? The pot isn't too small right now, the pitchers would probably have hung over the edge of the pot if they weren't in a cube.

Also it looks like it is in LFS. The LFS is green so does this mean it is alive?

This is very exciting my nepenthes sanguinea I got from a nursury and it was already in a 4 inch pot but this one is like a little baby plant.
well you should of started your own post instead of stealing someone else s, simple answer no please dont repot nepenthes roots are very delicate and well this is your first nep its ok that the pitchers are hanging guve it light and take it out of teh death cube
By girlzano167
dionaea muscipula wrote:
girlzano167 wrote:I have always wondered why my lowes don't have these, so I went to my local lowes and was about to give up looking for them, and then I saw some tropical looking plants inside. As soon as I walked in I saw the cubes. The lady at the store told me that I could buy the small ones for $1 and the big ones for $2, but I didn't want north american plants since it is winter and they need dormancy, so I just got a nepenthes(ventricosa right?)

well you should of started your own post instead of stealing someone else s, simple answer no please dont repot nepenthes roots are very delicate and well this is your first nep its ok that the pitchers are hanging guve it light and take it out of teh death cube
I didn't think it was a good idea to make a new post about the same thing. This is not my first nepenthes I was just wondering if the mix that I got it in was okay for it.
By dionaea muscipula
girlzano167 wrote:
dionaea muscipula wrote:

I didn't think it was a good idea to make a new post about the same thing. This is not my first nepenthes I was just wondering if the mix that I got it in was okay for it.
kk anymore Q's
By Veronis
girlzano167 wrote:How big will these get?
Big. In full-grown plants, ventricosa pitchers alone can get about 8-9 inches tall.

Here are some pics of mature and almost-mature Ventricosas that might put it into perspective.
Medium sized Ventricosa
Medium sized Ventricosa
ventricosa_medium.JPG (45.7 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Medium-Large sized Ventricosa
Medium-Large sized Ventricosa
ventricosa_medium-large.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
14cm pitcher - they get up to 20-23cm
14cm pitcher - they get up to 20-23cm
N-ventricosamedium-large_pitcher_14cm.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Top view
Top view
N-ventricosa-top.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Ventricosa flower opening - it'll only flower when it starts to create upper pitchers in a few years.
Ventricosa flower opening - it'll only flower when it starts to create upper pitchers in a few years.
Ventricosa_Flower.jpg (14.4 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
By girlzano167
Updates:

All but one of the leaves is wilting now. I cut off all the pitchers and tendrils because I thought that might help, similar to how you do that for stem cuttings.

I hope lucy's plant is doing just as well.
By dionaea muscipula
girlzano167 wrote:Updates:

All but one of the leaves is wilting now. I cut off all the pitchers and tendrils because I thought that might help, similar to how you do that for stem cuttings.

I hope lucy's plant is doing just as well.
why did you do that? that wouldn't help in any way. just leave your plant alone for a few months while it gets use to its new home
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!