FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Teanuhkixbum
I had this little dude shipped in, and it lost all the pitchers that were on it pretty quick after it arrived. The leaves still look good and it has put up two new leaves that are just starting to drop their pitchers. My question is.... Do I need to pinch off the dead pitchers?

Also, I do not have an exact id on this one so if anyone knows... I get if you cant with no live pitchers. But nailing down it for research purposes as a newb would be helpful.
Attachments:
0925181927a~2.jpg
0925181927a~2.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1337 times
0925181927~2.jpg
0925181927~2.jpg (786.97 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
By KategoricalKarnivore
Yes you can snip off the dead pitchers. I usually wait until the pitcher and tendril is completely dried up to cut them off.

It is most likely N. x Ventrata. That is the most common pitcher plant sold. It could also be N. Ventricosa. Those are very common as well. You’ll need to have some pitchers on it for a positive ID though.
By Teanuhkixbum
Thanks! Hopefully shipping shocked them and I didn't methodically murder with in a few days of receiving them! Appreciate the help!
By KategoricalKarnivore
Nah, you’re not a murderer. It’s very common for pitcher plants to lose all of their pitchers after shipping, repotting, or even just moving them from one spot to another. The are very picky when conditions change.
By Lukebart02
Teanuhkixbum wrote:I had this little dude shipped in, and it lost all the pitchers that were on it pretty quick after it arrived. The leaves still look good and it has put up two new leaves that are just starting to drop their pitchers. My question is.... Do I need to pinch off the dead pitchers?

Also, I do not have an exact id on this one so if anyone knows... I get if you cant with no live pitchers. But nailing down it for research purposes as a newb would be helpful.
You don’t necessarily NEED to cut the pitchers off but once they are fully dried them you can cut it by closest to the lead and I agree that it is probably Nepenthes ventrata! Good luck!
Lukebart02 liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!