FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By chriscanivorous
Are my lights good enough to germinate VFT seeds?
I know the brighter the better but havn't got the funds to invest.

I'm using 2 cfl bulbs in a 1ft cubic terrarium

20 watts = 100 watts
1218 lumens
warm white colour
2700k colour temperature
220-240v 50-60Hz

will this be enough light or will i need to invest in 40w-65w bulbs???
terrarium 2.jpg
terrarium 2.jpg (253.15 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
By dantt99
They will work for sure! It would be better to have a stronger light, but that should work fine on a 16 hour photoperiod for seeds :D
dantt99 liked this
By chriscanivorous
Grey wrote:I've had no problems with lower wattage lights (I, too am on a budget and I am also very limited on space), so if I can do it with my little light you certainly can! Good luck!!
I hope so the sun dont want to come out to play anytime soon so looks like ill have to make do till i got pennys for new lights :D
By chriscanivorous
Daniel_G wrote:That will work fine, but.... Free range chicken....What the heck! :lol:
Yeh its 'free' range. told you i was on a budget lol i made the lights my self as you can probably tell lol might paint it make it look nice ;)
By Grey
chriscanivorous wrote:
Grey wrote:I've had no problems with lower wattage lights (I, too am on a budget and I am also very limited on space), so if I can do it with my little light you certainly can! Good luck!!
I hope so the sun dont want to come out to play anytime soon so looks like ill have to make do till i got pennys for new lights :D
Oh gosh I hear you. We had a couple of BEAUTIFUL sunny days but because it's still cold I have to keep my seed tray out of my window. Fingers crossed for warmer, brighter days sometime soon!
By Sky924
I would up the color temp to at least 6k, maybe bring the lights a bit closer, But watch out for drying while the seeds are just germenating.
Sky924 liked this
By Ae9803
That would be fine however, if you want the bang for you buck. I would recommend getting a full spectrum 6500k bulb eventually since you are only germinating them this light would be fine, also with that small amount of lumens on the bulb you going to have to be right on that bulb for your plants to absorb a majority of the lumens from the production of that light. Did you know for every inch or so away you practically lose about half the lumens.Check this article out for more clearification,http://www.reliabilitydirect.com/RDISto ... 0Facts.pdf.
One thing I could suggest to you though, get mylar. Completely cover your set up, this way you will lose alot less lumen, mylar works really well, it reflects light back decreasing how much is lost.
I hope this will help you get your setup figured out in the future!

Heres a picture of what my plants look like under 8000 lumens of light!

Ae9803, Ae9803 liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!