FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By marallicat11
Hi there! I am new to the forum here. Stumbled upon it today when I googled venus fly traps. We bought a small trap from Lowes a few nights ago. We named our new friend Munch! So I learned to bottom water Munch, needs 4 hours of direct sunlight & I took Munch out of the terrium thingy it came in. I may have made a few mistakes before I got here....I gave him well water and I fed some hamburger (mini pieces of a hamburger) Was the burger ok? Or should I look for a bug next time.

Thanks, MARY :mrgreen:
By Aging_Bourbon
Hello and Welcome to Flytrapcare!
marallicat11 wrote:We bought a small trap from Lowes a few nights ago. We named our new friend Munch!
Wow that's awesome! Congrats!
marallicat11 wrote:So I learned to bottom water Munch, needs 4 hours of direct sunlight & I took Munch out of the terrium thingy it came in.
Make sure you're using pure water (i.e Distilled, Rain or R.O) Bottle water may contain minerals that are harmful to the plant. Sunlight is good, make sure he's getting 6+ hours of direct sunlight. Good move taking him outta the terr! for humidity isn't that important.
marallicat11 wrote:I may have made a few mistakes before I got here....I gave him well water and I fed some hamburger (mini pieces of a hamburger) Was the burger ok? Or should I look for a bug next time.
Aww dude that's so unfortunate. Burger isn't okay. These plants can't eat real meat, only insects.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask and don't be say. Oh! and welcome to the flytrapcare family!

Allen,
By kittyklaws
Hello and welcome! Yea, Allen's right, no hamburger, and make sure you're giving Munch pure/distilled/rain water :D
By Matt
You're questions have already been answered. I just wanted to chime in and say hello, welcome to flytrapcare and congratulations on your new plant.

If you have any more concerns or questions, feel free to ask. Be sure to read through the material on the main site to get yourself started. :)
By marallicat11
hey there and thanks for the help....now I am worried, Is Munch going to be ok after I gave him the hamburger????? :| I feel so bad, I hope I didn't hurt him. And yes, he is getting distilled water till I collect him some rain water.
By kittyklaws
the thing with hamburger is that it's hard to digest and when the plant can't digest all the food, the trap could rot, but it's no biggie, I'm sure Munch'll just grow some new traps anyway :lol:
By Aging_Bourbon
marallicat11 wrote:hey there and thanks for the help....now I am worried, Is Munch going to be ok after I gave him the hamburger????? :| I feel so bad, I hope I didn't hurt him. And yes, he is getting distilled water till I collect him some rain water.
Like what Kelly said, a plant doesn't have the organs to digest the meat. They just can eat only insects nothing else, people always mislead saying it eats hamburger meat. They're so full of sh**. (Sorry but it's the truth) Just clip that trap off.
By marallicat11
OUCH!!!!! :( Will it grow new traps? OMG.....the hamburger just won't go away??? I feel so bad cutting the mouths off. :( May have my DH do it. :|
By marallicat11
Man so I was just gonna do it and :? I can't remember which 3 have the hamburger now! I fed it 3 bits of hamburger and today I found 2 mini spiders and fed it. So do I have to cut it???????????????????? maybe if we hold it in front of a light we can figure out what traps have what....
By Aging_Bourbon
marallicat11 wrote:Man so I was just gonna do it and :? I can't remember which 3 have the hamburger now! I fed it 3 bits of hamburger and today I found 2 mini spiders and fed it. So do I have to cut it???????????????????? maybe if we hold it in front of a light we can figure out what traps have what....
You can just leave it until the leaves turn black. Don't worry, once they loose a trap they'll grow new ones. Feeding that plant isn't all that important a plant can go without eating a insect for it's whole life. The main key is light.
By marallicat11
WOW! I thought the whole point was to eat! Well, I am enjoying Munch! I think I like it more than the kids--hehe! :P Glad he is gonna be ok too! can't wait till summer too. Munch will be outside just like he should be! ;) And I am already thinking of his sleep next winter, off to the carport! Thank you so much for all your help (and thanks for putting up with me) :roll: I am a newbie here, but learning quick. Now even thinking about getting another!!! 8-)

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!