FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Hello, I just joined the forums, and thought I would post a few pictures of my VFT. I mainly am wondering if I could get some advice (if that is okay)? The plant was purchased from your run-of-the-mill Gardening Centre and I want to make sure everything is okay, and if not, what I can do.

I've looked through various help topics, and have learned a lot, however, I am hoping it is still alright to ask a few questions alongside posting my VFT, so you can get a better picture of its quality and health in general.

I have a few dead traps, and was wondering if I should remove them, if so, what is the safest way? I don't know what soil was used for the plant, but I'm sure it's all right, if not, may I ask for advice on how to repot or change soils? I know the roots are very delicate.

I don't know if you can see in the photographs, but I have a trap growing inside another trap, will this damage or harm the plant in any way? I haven't touched it just in case, and I don't want to trigger the trap as I know this takes a lot of the plant's energy and I also would not want it to digest itself.

I'd like to apologise for the quality of the photos, I've misplaced my digical camera and had to take them with a mobile phone instead. If you require better photos, please let me know and I will try to replace them.
Attachments:
Vft3.jpg
Vft3.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Vft2.jpg
Vft2.jpg (73.67 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
Vft1.jpg
Vft1.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
Last edited by Grey on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Matt
That's a very healthy looking flytrap considering it just came from the home and garden center!
Grey wrote:I have a few dead traps, and was wondering if I should remove them, if so, what is the safest way?
Feel free to remove any leaves that have completely turned brown or black. I usually just snip them off with a pair of pruning shears or scissors. But don't snip anything that's still green because it's still being used for photosynthesis.
Grey wrote:I don't know what soil was used for the plant, but I'm sure it's all right, if not, may I ask for advice on how to repot or change soils? I know the roots are very delicate.
It looks like it's potted in pure peat moss right now. That's a perfectly acceptable growing medium for flytraps, but I've found that they do a bit better in soil that's airier and that drains more. A 50:50 mix of silica sand or perlite and peat moss is a good soil mix for flytraps. Flytraps also like having pots that are 4 inches or deeper so that they have room to grow a healthy root system. As for repotting, the roots are a bit delicate, but if you're gentle with them, you really can't do too much damage. If you feel the desire to repot (and that wouldn't be a bad idea), you might want to read this article:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/media-soil-f ... traps.html
Grey wrote:I don't know if you can see in the photographs, but I have a trap growing inside another trap, will this damage or harm the plant in any way?
Nope, it happens all of the time. The unfortunate thing is that if one of the traps gets triggered closed, they'll usually both close. But it won't really harm the plant in any way.
Matt liked this
By Grey
Thank you so much for the quick responses! I'll look into the repotting, thank you for the link. Yes! My dad picked a good plant, he's usually good like that hehe.

Hopefully once the plant is a bit more spruced up, I'll find my camera and get a decent photograph. Thank you, again!
By Xterms
Matt wrote:
Grey wrote:I don't know if you can see in the photographs, but I have a trap growing inside another trap, will this damage or harm the plant in any way?
Nope, it happens all of the time. The unfortunate thing is that if one of the traps gets triggered closed, they'll usually both close. But it won't really harm the plant in any way.
I also had this occurance, and simply carefully pulled the trap out of the other, there's enough room for both of them next to each oher. :) The lower trap will close of cousre, but will open soon since nothing's left in it.

Btw, very-very nice plant that makes me jealous! ;)
By EmzyT
Hey Grey!
Your dad picked a good plant, yes. Lol. Where did he get it. I got my first one in homebase!

I'd reply to some of your questions but matt covered it all... He's very good ;)

Goodluck with your vft!

=) Emma
By Grey
Xterms wrote:
Matt wrote:
I also had this occurance, and simply carefully pulled the trap out of the other, there's enough room for both of them next to each oher. :) The lower trap will close of cousre, but will open soon since nothing's left in it.

Btw, very-very nice plant that makes me jealous! ;)
Thank you, that's good to know. I may move them apart later, but I want to repot the baby first.
EmzyT wrote:Hey Grey!
Your dad picked a good plant, yes. Lol. Where did he get it. I got my first one in homebase!

I'd reply to some of your questions but matt covered it all... He's very good ;)

Goodluck with your vft!

=) Emma
That's where my dad got mine! I literally just got home from going there looking for peat. They have some pretty good plants, hopefully their supplier is a bit better-able than most of the "use tap-water and meat" suppliers. Wonderful!
By Grey
31st July 2010
Hello, rather than make a new thread I thought I'd update this one! Today I repotted Mr.Nomnom. I have a few photos and would like your opinions -- I've never repotted a plant before.

I've had to use a black pot, but I'm always keeping an eye on the temperature, so I'm sure I can handle it if things get warm. I'll repot him when he's bigger in a paler pot, or find some way to insulate this one.

Mr.Nomnom had an issue with bugs and such, but that is solved now! I was extremelly careful when handling his bare roots and rhisome, and although we couldn't remove 100% of his previous soil, I'm sure it won't harm him. I've followed the steps on the FlytrapCare website exactly and I hope I've done a good job.

As you can see I made one heck of a mess of things. Agh!

I don't know how you all do it, I found it nerve wracking re-potting him for the first time! I'm still a little nervous, I hope I didn't harm him lol. I suppose it's all a learning curve.
By Grey
Matt wrote:It looks like you did a great job! I too was very nervous and stressed the first time I repotted my flytraps. A few more times repotting and it seems like second nature.
Thank you! Phew it's good to hear that from someone other than mum (no offence mum >.>). I was fascinated by just how small the "stem" of the plant was. I also got nipped accidently. Mr.Nomnom has tasted human flesh! Run!

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!