FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wutihbe
so my mother bought venus flytraps and im very surprised that vft has flowers. she insisted on growing it under LED lights (idk how many Watts it has.) and she plans to use tap water ( i believe the tap water has 115 ppm or so) for water. so
1. when can i harvest the seeds from the vft?
2. is the things said above ok for this vft?
3. any suggestions for this vft
Attachments:
it had red traps :D
it had red traps :D
image.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1278 times
this is literally the lighting for the vft
this is literally the lighting for the vft
image.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1278 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1278 times
By DUB-C
Hello Wutihbe,

I believe you may have an issue with the tap water PPM being as high at it is. A searching around the forums and you'll find information pointing to PPM's lower than that. I believe a more comfortable level is 50 PPM or lower. Don't hold me to this because I use either collected rain water or distilled water to water my flytraps. Also, depending on your growing experiences, if your still new to growing and caring for flytraps I would recommend cutting the flower stalk. The plant uses a lot of it's energy to produce those flowers and letting it go can cost you the plant itself if not cared for properly. I would just make sure you give it plenty of light, keep the soil moist and enjoy watching it grow! Cheers!
By Wutihbe
DUB-C wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:28 am Hello Wutihbe,

I believe you may have an issue with the tap water PPM being as high at it is. A searching around the forums and you'll find information pointing to PPM's lower than that. I believe a more comfortable level is 50 PPM or lower.
wait i read it wrongly
the tap water singapore use is mainly from recycled water.
the PPM for the tap water is 64 not 115 :lol:
still quite high but i’ll try to water it with rain water
By Wutihbe
DUB-C wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:28 am Hello Wutihbe,

Also, depending on your growing experiences, if your still new to growing and caring for flytraps I would recommend cutting the flower stalk. The plant uses a lot of it's energy to produce those flowers and letting it go can cost you the plant itself if not cared for properly. I would just make sure you give it plenty of light, keep the soil moist and enjoy watching it grow! Cheers!
I am still quite new to growing vfts but i know that flower stalks requires alot of energy.
but can i still get seeds from it after cutting it out? or is it just a stalk now
By DUB-C
You would have to leave the flower stalk as part of the plant and grow it to full bloom. Self pollinate and then wait for the seeds to be produced. If it was cut and placed in soil (flower stalk propagation) and assuming the right care was given within a few months you could have another flytrap growing from it.
By Wutihbe
uh.. after a few days some of the vft flower buds became black. idk if its dying or something else but uh…
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (808.22 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!