FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Christy
Posts:  5
Joined:  Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm
#10118
Ok, I have researched all over the internet took notes and my mind is full of information now.
Ever since I was a kid I was fasinated by the Venus Fly Trap.
When I discovered that you can grow them at home I was thrilled.
I found a place where I was able to buy the plants, and they are on their way.
They will be here in two days.
So that gives me tomorrow to get things set up.
Whippie,I am so happy about this and don't want to screw anything up.
However,I have decided to grow them terranium style.
The reason I am here today writing is because I need a freind with a knowledge about these plants to help me.
Please advise me with the set up details, and day to day care.
I would appreciate it so much.
All feedbacks will be responded too.
Please remeber that tomorrow is set up day, so I am hoping for some tips this evening.
To anyone that is readign this thank you very much for your time.
By lozone31
Posts:  143
Joined:  Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 pm
#10121
Congradulations on your new plants, I hope that everything turns out well. there are many articles on the home website with information on care of venus fly traps. See here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/the-importan ... traps.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/the-importan ... traps.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/media-soil-f ... traps.html

these articles will give you the basic knowledge on light,soil, and water for your traps when you set them up. Personally I do not know a whole lot about terrariums, I have only read that you need to be cautious about the growth of mold and fungus.
If you have any other questions than feel free to ask there are many knowledgeable members that are happy to answer your questions. Or you can search around the forums for other peoples post to find information. This is a great website for all your Dionaea needs and you should have know trouble getting your questions answered! 8-)
By Adam
Posts:  2892
Joined:  Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:39 am
#10130
yes, don't keep the soil too wet. You will have fungus and mildew to deal with and it will possibly kill your plants.

If your plants arrive tomorrow and you don't have everything set up, you can keep them in closed plastic container in distilled water for a couple of days until you have everything. Make sure you don't rush things. As long as the plants' roots are kept nice and moist while you prepare, they should be fine.
By Christy
Posts:  5
Joined:  Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm
#10147
lozone31 wrote:Congradulations on your new plants, I hope that everything turns out well. there are many articles on the home website with information on care of venus fly traps. See here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/the-importan ... traps.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/the-importan ... traps.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/media-soil-f ... traps.html

these articles will give you the basic knowledge on light,soil, and water for your traps when you set them up. Personally I do not know a whole lot about terrariums, I have only read that you need to be cautious about the growth of mold and fungus.
If you have any other questions than feel free to ask there are many knowledgeable members that are happy to answer your questions. Or you can search around the forums for other peoples post to find information. This is a great website for all your Dionaea needs and you should have know trouble getting your questions answered! 8-)
Thank you so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.
By Christy
Posts:  5
Joined:  Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm
#10148
Adam wrote:yes, don't keep the soil too wet. You will have fungus and mildew to deal with and it will possibly kill your plants.

If your plants arrive tomorrow and you don't have everything set up, you can keep them in closed plastic container in distilled water for a couple of days until you have everything. Make sure you don't rush things. As long as the plants' roots are kept nice and moist while you prepare, they should be fine.
Thank you for your input, It is nice to see that I got feedback.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  21713
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#10153
Hello Christy and welcome to flytrapcare! I'm glad to see you made it here from the email I sent you. I love your enthusiasm and I'm very happy that you joined the site!

Where are you living? Is there any reason you've chosen to grow your Venus flytraps in a terrarium instead of outside? If you live in the US where it doesn't get extremely hot and dry in the summer (somewhere like Phoenix or Las Vegas), I would strongly recommend growing your plants outside. And if you do live somewhere that it gets really hot, I would recommend growing them outside in direct sunlight the rest of the year and protecting them from the heat in the summer.

If you want to try the terrarium, you should definitely heed the advice already given about mold and fungal infections. Also, be sure to give them very bright light for at least 16 hours a day during the active growing season. Also, don't forget that you have to figure out how you're going to provide dormancy. This is the hardest part about growing plants in a terrarium. You'll have to decrease the photoperiod and temperature to induce dormancy. If you grow them outside, when fall comes they'll enter dormancy naturally, which is one of the biggest reasons (sunlight is the other) I think it's easiest to grow them outside. Without a dormancy, your plants will eventually decline in health in die.

Good luck with your plants! Please post some photos of them when you get them.
By Christy
Posts:  5
Joined:  Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm
#10155
Matt wrote:Hello Christy and welcome to flytrapcare! I'm glad to see you made it here from the email I sent you. I love your enthusiasm and I'm very happy that you joined the site!

Where are you living? Is there any reason you've chosen to grow your Venus flytraps in a terrarium instead of outside? If you live in the US where it doesn't get extremely hot and dry in the summer (somewhere like Phoenix or Las Vegas), I would strongly recommend growing your plants outside. And if you do live somewhere that it gets really hot, I would recommend growing them outside in direct sunlight the rest of the year and protecting them from the heat in the summer.

If you want to try the terrarium, you should definitely heed the advice already given about mold and fungal infections. Also, be sure to give them very bright light for at least 16 hours a day during the active growing season. Also, don't forget that you have to figure out how you're going to provide dormancy. This is the hardest part about growing plants in a terrarium. You'll have to decrease the photoperiod and temperature to induce dormancy. If you grow them outside, when fall comes they'll enter dormancy naturally, which is one of the biggest reasons (sunlight is the other) I think it's easiest to grow them outside. Without a dormancy, your plants will eventually decline in health in die.

Good luck with your plants! Please post some photos of them when you get them.
Hi Matt,
Yes I have decided to grow my venus fly plants outside.
They should be here tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.
They eat meat. LOL!
I accidently sent an email to you about how to delete my account here.
That was a mistake it was meant for something else.
SO if you run into it please dont worry about it.
I live in San Diego.
Any other tips before I start would be great, this is a great site.
Thanks a bunch to everyone once again.
By NZL
Location: 
Posts:  489
Joined:  Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:28 am
#10163
Just be careful Christy,

growing VFTs becomes addictive very soon :)
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  21713
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#10174
Oh wow! You live in San Diego, huh? The weather there is perfect for growing VFTs outdoors all year. Your plants will do awesome! Just put them outside in the sunniest location you have in your yard and watch them grow. You'll never even have to move them for dormancy since it rarely freezes there. You're very lucky!
Christy wrote:Any other tips before I start would be great, this is a great site.
The only things you really need to remember when you start growing are:
1) Proper soil (some mixture of peat moss and perlite and/or sand). Most growers use the "standard CP mix" which is a 50:50 mix of peat moss and perlite.
2) LOTS of sunlight - At least 4 hours of direct sunlight a day.
3) Clean water - Rain, distilled water or reverse osmosis water only.
4) Dormancy

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!
User avatar
By Steve_D
Location: 
Posts:  3913
Joined:  Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:06 pm
#10183
Everyone has their own opinions, but I for one would recommend against growing Venus Flytraps in a terrarium unless you plan to use only grow-lights (fluorescent or otherwise) and never place the terrarium in full sun. Venus Flytraps love sun, but even without a lid, the clear sides of a terrarium will intensify the heat and diminish the natural air flow. In addition, sunlight striking the growing medium through the clear sides will heat the growing medium possibly to a very uncomfortable degree for the plants' roots.

Also, very high humidity and lack of air flow inside a terrarium invites fungal and bacterial infections, crown rot which can kill the plant, etc.

But, if you are determined to use a terrarium and plan to grow only in artificial light, then good luck to you and your venture, and lots of people are here to help. :)
By Christy
Posts:  5
Joined:  Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm
#10255
Adam wrote:Wow! You live in a great place to grow VFTs!
I just want to say thank you to everyone for their feedback, it is great to know that I have somewhere to turn too if I need have raising these babies.
It is going to be fun and exciting.
Knowing that San Diego is the perfect spot for growing.
I can forsee many many traps growing.
I do plan to grow them all outside.
I read somewhere on the internet not to long ago that the worlds largest Venus Trap weighed over twenty pounds.
Could you imagine?
Must of been an abornormality in the genes.
I will be posting pictures when all is good to go.
Until then have a great one.
By NZL
Location: 
Posts:  489
Joined:  Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:28 am
#10281
Christy wrote:I read somewhere on the internet not to long ago that the worlds largest Venus Trap weighed over twenty pounds.
Could you imagine?
No I can't :D
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, unless they weighed it with soil and pot and everything ;)
MikeB's grow list

PM'ed you.

DCXL

Thank you! I’m guessing things are slow beca[…]

Got it today Thanks!!! [emoji3] https://uploads.[…]

Kim jong-un

Looks great! Can’t wait till mine comes :D

Return address

Don't get Dean started any the post office! :lol:

You might also be interested in checking out Rober[…]

Order received. Your order number is 0280. I'll PM[…]

St. Patrick’s Beard

This plant is supposed to make “PomPom&rdquo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!