FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By unicornfleaks
Hello everyone! I've been taking care of my venus fly trap for over 3 or 4 years now. It even bloom once! Anyways, I repotted it 2 months ago and I kinda used a big pot for this. My idea was to make it grow better and also couldnt find any medium sized pot so i used what i had. At the begging I was expecting for the leafs to die but it just gets worse day by day. Now it is not even growing full leaves they just kinda die on the spot. Time to time Ie even put it under some uvb light I bought for it. I am just thinking to repot it in its old container but i dont want to damage it more, I appreciate any help...
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 23.22.19.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 23.22.19.jpeg (238.53 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 23.22.18.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 23.22.18.jpeg (258.79 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
By hungry carnivores
Hi! Welcome to the forums!

This plant looks extremely stressed. I'd avoid UVB. The sun gives enough. I'd put it out in full-sun and keep the plant in 1/2 Peat 1/2 perlite.

Did you check your water?
Did your new growth die off?
Dig up the rhizome if it dies more. Perhaps repot it.

Don't listen to my advice until more people chime in though.
By unicornfleaks
Thanks for the fast repliess. I always leave the soil damp and with some water under in the tray and the small new leaves are just keep dying.. For the dormancy, the season here handles it, in the winter it just stays in front of the window sill which gets cold and the sun is not burning so i never had any issues with that for the past years.
By Matt
Looks to be suffering from some sort of mineral burn. Did you answer hungry carnivores question here:
hungry carnivores wrote:Did you check your water?

Also, what kind of soil did you use?

I agree that the UVB light isn't likely beneficial.
By unicornfleaks
Yes, the soil is always damp and I try to keep it wet so I dont think the water is the problem. For the soil I ordered a mix (I guess it is half perlit half peat moss) but I am using this mix for 3 years and never had a problem before.. Also I cut the UVB and now trying to give it less sun and give it some time to heal in the shade. And now I'm just waiting for a couple of days to repot it in a small pot with fresh soil, hoping it wont shock it too much...
By FunkeePanda
What kind of water are you using?
What kind of perlite and peat are you using? Some places put miracle grow additives in there, and they could root burn your plant.
Hope what you're doing works out.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!