FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By NES_Frogman
i would like some help determining what substrate to use, and which plants will require dormancy. I wish I would have started here BEFORE I ordered seeds online. Supposedly, I’ll be getting 10 varieties of Drosera sp.:
stolonifera
binata
burkeana
burmanii
capensis pink & white flower
indica white, jacky jacky
spatulata
nidiformis

I want to plan ahead and get substrate ready to go when the seeds arrive. I was thinking blended LFS and PFS. I have a couple heat mats, seed germinating trays with covers, t5ho bulb that I use for garden seedlings, and a cheap tiny greenhouse thing that I start said veggies in late winter. I would prefer not to keep the greenhouse up all year if possible. We have a porch that gets full sun east/south so it gets warm early in the day, but not scorching hot.

As for germinating, I’ve read here that someone germinates in test tubes. How easy would it be to pipette our single seeds to space them properly? I’m not to keen on clumped baby sundews for my first attempt.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome, I’m completely new to CP, I’m a little terrified of failing. Thank you!
By Trapper Kay
For germinating drosera seeds I use either the test tube method or sowing them on top NZLFSM mixed with some perlite (about a 2:1 lfsm:perlite ratio) but the ratio can depend on environment the seeds are grown in as well as how much you water. I also use the tray watering method with this to prevent mold/fungus growing on the top of the media. If need be, I’ll carefully spray a little distilled water on the surface to keep it from drying out. I usually use seran wrap and place the sowed seeds under some t8 led lights.

Only temperate sundews need a dormancy period; tropical sundew spp don’t need a dormancy period. Most of not all the ones you listed I believe are tropical.

It’s difficult to germinate seedlings outside as opposed to a controlled space inside due to heat/humidity. If you germinate outside, make sure the seeds are not in direct sunlight as that can possibly cook them and cause no germination or very low germination. Instead, place them in an area where they get filtered sun and make sure the pot/media isn’t getting too hot (above 95 f for even just a day or two can cook them)

Hope this helps!
Trapper Kay liked this
By Shadowtski
stolonifera, Australian Tuberous species, grows in Winter, produces tuber to for hot dry Summer dormancy.

indica white, jacky jacky, Tropical Annual species, grows, produces seeds, dies, usually in a one year period. Can survive somewhat longer if heavily fed.

Burmannii, Tropical Annual species. Ditto

Binata, some locations have a Winter dormancy, many do not.

The others are Sub-Tropical. They grow year-round with room temperature and good light.

I use 1:1 Peatmoss:Perlite for generic media. I add a 1/4 inch top dressing of sifted peatmoss so the germinated seeds don't fall down the cracks and crevices.

I use an eyedropper for transferring seeds from test tubes to potted media.

Just my 2¢ worth.
Shadowtski liked this
By NES_Frogman
Thanks for the help! I already have sphagnum moss, and I have pool filter sand coming friday. Since peat is decomposed mosses and bog plants I was going to blend the moss down a bit to a finer texture for germination, mixing it with the sand. If this is a bad idea let me know.
By NES_Frogman
I just had a cool thought. If the seeds come mixed (I think they will) could I separate them out using a microscope? It might save me a bit of hassle if some varieties take longer to germinate than others, as they would be in separate pots. I would assume I couldn’t completely separate them out by species, but it might be worth a shot, eh?
By vaprovo
You could do that, but the peat moss is already pretty fine. I would just fills pots with 50/50 peat moss/pool filter sand, and have a go at them.
By NES_Frogman
vaprovo wrote:You could do that, but the peat moss is already pretty fine. I would just fills pots with 50/50 peat moss/pool filter sand, and have a go at them.
I don’t have any peat, and am trying not to spend more money on this project.
By NES_Frogman
Copper2 wrote:Pure lfs is fine
I have about 49.5 pounds of pool filter sand now, I think I’ll use some of that up! :). I’m thinking of blending the LFS. For the top inch so seeds don’t fall down
NES_Frogman liked this
By Cross
NES_Frogman wrote:
vaprovo wrote:You could do that, but the peat moss is already pretty fine. I would just fills pots with 50/50 peat moss/pool filter sand, and have a go at them.
Little older, but what do you mean blend? Just cut it into inch strips and mix that with the peat. I don't use sand. I'd like to, maybe one day. But I use peat to sow my seeds for everything. I've heard some people use lfsm, but I didn't have sent luck when I tried that with mine. You should, when you can, buy a Cape sundew when you can. Drosera capensis, drosera capensis wide leaf, big pink, alba, narrow red, etc. It would help you to learn the conditions that they should be growing in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By NES_Frogman
Cross wrote:
NES_Frogman wrote:
Little older, but what do you mean blend? Just cut it into inch strips and mix that with the peat. I don't use sand. I'd like to, maybe one day. But I use peat to sow my seeds for everything. I've heard some people use lfsm, but I didn't have sent luck when I tried that with mine. You should, when you can, buy a Cape sundew when you can. Drosera capensis, drosera capensis wide leaf, big pink, alba, narrow red, etc. It would help you to learn the conditions that they should be growing in.

I meant to put some into a blender to get it to a finer texture, at least for the top inch or so. Still do a 50/50 mix with the sand. I do have three varieties of capensis seeds coming. If this mix doesn’t work out well, I’ll have to get peat, but don’t want to spend more unless I have to. Reading what others have done, and differing advice here, I hope it turns out well. Fingers crossed!
By Cross
NES_Frogman wrote:
Cross wrote:
NES_Frogman wrote: I don’t have any peat, and am trying not to spend more money on this project.

I meant to put some into a blender to get it to a finer texture, at least for the top inch or so. Still do a 50/50 mix with the sand. I do have three varieties of capensis seeds coming. If this mix doesn’t work out well, I’ll have to get peat, but don’t want to spend more unless I have to. Reading what others have done, and differing advice here, I hope it turns out well. Fingers crossed!
Oh, so you're doing lfsm and sand. I have literally zero knowledge on that. I would definitely make sure you set that up in a bowl to bottom water. If you water from the top, they may disappear. The seeds are really, really tiny. I would definitely do some research into possibly water germination. As a hobby in the future, since you like seeds, I'd look into tissue culture. I grew my spatulata seeds in it. I getting ready to make another batch today. These were sown 4/15. They look smaller than they actually are. Image

By thefic
For most seedlings I use pure peat that I triple wash and then soak and sit in the sun for a day or so before sowing the seeds.

Whenever I get seeds from the seedbank I so half in one container and then the rest in another container. I use those $5 for 10 lunch containers from Walmart. Poke holes in the bottom and then sit in a tray of water.

I've tried water germination and had mixed results. Maybe it was the containers that I used, not sure. I know that others here use water germination regularly.

The paper towel in a plastic bag works for me for seeds other than carnivores. The carnivores seeds are frustratingly small for me to work with so I avoid this method.
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:Tissue culture is looking good, Cross
Thanks. I regret to say that one jar has to be taken out today. It looks like mold it's starting to grow..... it's only been there for almost 2 months but hey

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!