FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By VFT-me
Hello everybody.

I just planted 11 VFT seeds today so I thought I'd climb aboard because I know I'll need some help someday. Seems there's lots of caveats with these plants.

A little about me, ...I'm a relatively new,amateur hobbyist so far as horticulture goes. My first infatuation was with Moso Bamboo a few years ago. That lasted about three years. It lasted until I began to get 4" round shoots coming up in my yard that would grow 10 feet tall in a week. I loved growing Bamboo but good grief! Took me a long time to get that under control.

I had a garden for all those years. It always looked good in early spring but devolved towards a free-for-all jungle by late summer. I lost interest because bugs would always destroy the plants and I'm not into using insecticide. So, ...these days I'm doing my gardening indoors with a hydroponic system that's a cross between Ebb and Flow and Deep Water Culture. Not one bug can be found except for the fly's that come in from outside, and what's brought me here.

:roll:
By VFT-me
Hmmm, ....this forum seems to be all but abandoned.
By Hungry Plants
welcome to the forum. What are your plans for winter dormancy?
By Nightbreed
VFT-me wrote:Hmmm, ....this forum seems to be all but abandoned.
It's not abandoned. Most people don't reply to the introduction forum. You will find the other sections to be more lively. The people here are really friendly and there are some very experienced growers that will offer great advice. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Welcome! It's definitely not abandoned. Most growers here I think focus on watching the subsections that they focus on. I'm good with fly traps, but my focus is sarracenia. I watch the time line, but I'm hit or miss on whether I'm active.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By VFT-me
@ Hungry Plants - I think I'm going to skip this winter, at least until late winter early spring. My seeds are beginning to sprout and it seems as if time has stopped. Never seen a slower growing plant. I think I'm going to need at least a tiny plant before I send it into hibernation.

@Nightbreed - good point.

@borderlib - yeah, ok. I am fixing on sowing some sarracenia soon. Sarracenia oreophila to be specific. That and some sarracenia flava ornata.

Thanks for the replies.
By Nightbreed
Good luck with all your plants. Need anything don't hesitate to ask. We all want each other to succeed.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!