FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
Ok everyone. My new sundew comes in today. I've never grown one before. So, if you could kindly throw me some tips and advice, I'd appreciate it. I can read all the pages, but I'd like the 'I didn't know when I started' advice. Thanks in advance. Oh, my sundew is drosera capensis wide leaf Deluxe .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Painley
Lots of water. The tray method works very well for this. Most growers grow in a tray with 1 to 2 inches of water in it at all times. Try to provide higher humidity. Humidity domes or terrariums are the best option for this. They want Lots of light. A windowsill should work fine but if you notice the tentacles stop producing red pigmentation I would switch to artificial lighting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
By Cross
What temperatures do you find they can withstand?

By Painley
Depends. I have found that capensis are unkillable aim for like 60-85 degrees. Some species appreciate a 10 degree temperature drop at night

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
By King Drosophyllum VI
My Drosera capensis grow outside and they seem to be okay with temperatures over 100 degrees. They have survived freezes also and the only thing that causes a large problem are mealybugs which kill all of my large plants every summer except for the D. capensis 'red' which are not affected badly at all for some reason.
I don't have D. capensis wide leaf so I don't know how well it does outside but I assume it is similar to the other forms.
By Nepenthes0260
I grow my cape sundews indoors with full light and temps in the mid 70s to 80s. They're really easy. Some call them the indestructible sundew :D. I use the tray method, too.
By Cross
Ok, so I have them on top of my heater(it's a flat top and doesn't get that warm). I have them in a tray of distilled water and a 5k Kelvin 1600 lumen bulb half a foot over it. I'll keto him inside until it stops freezing during the day. Thanks everyone!

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!