FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Kingkidd
So I just got a new vft Yesterday. First plant I have ever owned, and the last two days I have been reading information on it. My question is, its already this long, and though it hasnt blossomed, Do you think I should still cut it? Or has the majority of its energy already gone? The mother's traps is not looking to healthy, about two or three traps look average health. But could be dormancy thats still happening? she has about two or 3 babies underneath her, that look to be doing well. If most of its energy is already into the flower, I would rather just get the seeds. I also have read somewhere that someone would cut the flower then make them into smaller pieces to clone, I would like to make a clone with this, if its possible with the length, and to get any extra clones out of it. Any information would be appreciated!

P.S. sorry for the picture, Its off a phone
Attachments:
flower.jpg
flower.jpg (2.71 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
By Daniel_G
It's probably used alot of energy makig the flower,and you won't get any benefit cutting it off at this stage,you may as well let it flower and get some seeds.
If you want to clone it,feel free to,cut the stalk into 1" or 2" long pieces and put them onto soggy sol with lot's of light,and you shouyld get some strikes (if you do it right)

Good luck!
By stitz25b
yeah like he said leave it (lol bad joke!) or cut it and plant it in soil as this is a good propagation method
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare Kingkidd!
Kingkidd wrote:Do you think I should still cut it? Or has the majority of its energy already gone?
I'd certainly cut the flower stalk if it were my plant.

It also appears to be needing more light. It's hard to tell where you have it placed, but you should put it in a window that gets as much direct sunlight as possible.

Also, if you haven't done so already, be sure to read the articles on the main site about the basic care requirements for Venus fly traps
By dantt99
I'm going to say that you should cut the flower stalk for a couple reasons....
  • It has already done some serious impact on the plants by draining so much energy, any more could be fatal.
  • It is very hard to get seed unless you have multiple flowers at a time to pollinate
  • If you cut it up into 2-3 inch pieces and plant them they could grow into new plants! :)
Good luck! :D

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!