FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
xr280xr wrote:Yep, attached images and inline images are now both semi-collapsible and look consistent between Firefox & Chrome (I had to do a ctrl+F5 refresh to get the new updates). I still don't see a way to expand the images to full res in either, though. Is that gone now or am I just missing it?
I spent some more time on this. Attached images are now loaded at a fixed width, but display their full height so it isn't necessary to click on them to make them fully visible.

But I can't seem to get the little magnifying glass icon to show on the top left corner of the images except in Chrome. I'll keep looking at it and hopefully figure out what's going on.
GreenOhio wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for uploading photos to save space on the forum?
If you upload them with your phone using Tapatalk, they're automatically resized, I think. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find a mod that will automatically resize images uploaded to the forum.
By xr280xr
Matt wrote:But, for inline images, you can view the full resolution photo by right-clicking and selecting "Open image in new tab".
Fair enough, if you can't get the magnifying glass up! Freakin browsers.
Matt wrote: I'll have to poke around and see if I can find a mod that will automatically resize images uploaded to the forum
That would be convenient at times. Hopefully it would apply only if the file size exceeded the max, though.

I just found that when submitting a new post after one or more users had submitted theirs (like if you take a long time to write it), it comes back showing the new posts on top, like before, but above the post text editor, there's an error/warning that reads "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." I feel like maybe that was a more user friendly message before? Something along the lines of "New posts have added since you began your reply". This is not a complaint, just a possible difference. ;)

Oh, and technically it was when Previewing a post, not submitting.
xr280xr liked this
By bvalente
The darker color scheme I think did help reduce the bright white stress placed on the eyes with the earlier scheme, I am still debating about the blue though. I think the tan and green scheme could be a little gentler, plus it goes with the whole "plant scheme" of things. I do like this layout a lot better than the previous forums and this color scheme is an improvement over the other.
bvalente liked this
By Andrew
The images were being handled very strangely for me yesterday (last night?). I would have to scroll around them to see what was going on.

Buuuut it seems to be fixed now, and the little magnifying glass on the top left corner of images works well. (Safari)

Although it's a little hard on the eyes, it seems to be a lot better than the old look!
Andrew liked this
By Mephiles
Yeah it took me by surprise when I checked in earlier this month, looks pretty swish!

I did stumble upon a few inconsistencies in the forum though, like picture attachments in posts that have a native resolution wider than the page width getting their right edge cut off, rather than being shrunk to fit between the edges of the post field. I also can't seem edit my profile in the 'community' section; the 'edit profile' tab only takes me to the activity stream.
By Matt
SundewWolf wrote:Can anyone change their avatar? When I try it says to contact the system admin.
MrsMuscipula wrote:Yep, I got the same error. Here is a screencap.
tish wrote: That happen when I didnt log in to my community account, after I did it was ok
Right. You'll need to log into the community portion of the site to change your avatar. If you're not logged in, you'll get that error.

In theory, because I've installed a module to log people into both places when they log into one or the other, you shouldn't have to log into the community additionally, but it doesn't seem to work :(
By Matt
Mephiles wrote:I did stumble upon a few inconsistencies in the forum though, like picture attachments in posts that have a native resolution wider than the page width getting their right edge cut off, rather than being shrunk to fit between the edges of the post field.
This should be fixed now, as of yesterday. If you're still seeing that, try a hard refresh of the page (F5 in windows). If you're still seeing it after that, please post a link to the page where you're seeing it and let me know what browser you're using.
Matt liked this
By Matt
bvalente wrote:I am still debating about the blue though. I think the tan and green scheme could be a little gentler, plus it goes with the whole "plant scheme" of things. I do like this layout a lot better than the previous forums and this color scheme is an improvement over the other.
I've been thinking about the color scheme, thanks for the feedback on this Brian.

I too like the idea of green, and it's my favorite color to boot. But FlytrapCare has always had a blue-based color scheme. So has FlytrapStore. And I guess I've just grown accustomed to it and I am partial to keeping the base colors blue at this point.

Though, yesterday I did change the color of the blue in the forums to match that of the store. I also changed the background on everything else that was a light gray to a slightly darker shade of gray. I think it looks better than the original electric blue and light gray color scheme. What do you think?
By xr280xr
I like the colors.

After more use, I am finding the new style to be a little more taxing than the old. It definitely has a cleaner, brighter look, which is nice. But at the same time, that's largely the result of more spacing everywhere which means there's less info on the screen. For me, there's too much empty vertical space; I can't see enough of one thing on the screen at once.

The actual page-specific content of the pages doesn't start until around halfway or more down my monitor, and that's when the window is maximized (at 1920 x 1080). In some places I think the vertical padding/margin is good, like in the reply box. It looks clean but fits on the page. In places like "table" headers and rows, (like the forum/board tables or lists of posts), signatures, the thanked boxes, and spacing between rows of elements, especially in the page headers, it feels like too much. Everything eats up a little bit of extra vertical space and it adds up to a lot of scrolling.
NewPostsComparison.jpg
NewPostsComparison.jpg (111.45 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
Here's a side by side, for reference. There actually was a considerable amount of header space used here before, but where 8 posts fit before, now only 2 fit.

It did help when I realized my browser was zoomed in 1 click for some reason :roll:, but I'm finding it easier to use, still, if I zoom out a level or two more. If I'm the only one w/ this opinion, then that's the solution! That's my 2¢ on the theme.

I see the image expansion working in firefox! Awesome!
xr280xr liked this
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:It did help when I realized my browser was zoomed in 1 click for some reason , but I'm finding it easier to use, still, if I zoom out a level or two more. If I'm the only one w/ this opinion, then that's the solution! That's my 2¢ on the theme.
You're not the only one. I too find the new style a little more cumbersome to use because of all of the scrolling.

It's a tradeoff, really -- not enough empty space makes things look cramped and cluttered. Too much empty space requires more scrolling in order to be able to see all of the content.

I guess most themes these days are erring on the side of having more white space to prevent the cluttered look. All websites seem to be moving in that direction.

I could certainly condense the content by lowering the amount of padding between elements. I might play with it to see what I think.
xr280xr wrote:I see the image expansion working in firefox! Awesome!
Yeah! Nice!

Thank you very much for all of the constructive feedback. It's much appreciated!
By cvlover
Too much space between lines. Title should be bold. Need a nice background ... otherwise it looks like a newbie web.
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!