FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dewy the Sundew
Posts:  292
Joined:  Sat May 14, 2016 6:14 am
#300172
Hi everyone, I recenty got a beautiful heliamphora minor which already has some new pitchers forming. I have it in top layer live sphagnum and full akadama,so it is very well draining, plus the tray is tilted so the water will flow to the other pots of sphagnum that takes up the water, so most of the time, the bottom of the pot has very little to no water. I water it once a day, my temps are 28 to 35(max but more commonly 32 below) in the day and 23 to 26 celcius at night. I mist them very often. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
(i have grown helis b4, but died in a week to a few months, all to root rot as the media it cane in holds water quite well.)

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By corky
Posts:  383
Joined:  Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:56 pm
#300173
I only grow a couple ot helis and would of thought your temps were more of a problem than the drainage, I've kept mine in an inch of water for extended periods with no problem at all , I'm sure most will disagree but most people repeat what they've heard/read with no first hand experience. I've grown them like this for a couple of years and they've flowered and grown well enough for my liking but my temps are much cooler
By Dewy the Sundew
Posts:  292
Joined:  Sat May 14, 2016 6:14 am
#300188
tannerm wrote:Even 32 is too hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its my climate. Singapore temps are too warm. I can't even build a HL chamber nor do i have air conditioning. I could build a HL chamber but I am not sure what cooling i could use within my budget.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By tannerm
Posts:  1589
Joined:  Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:24 am
#300190
Dewy the Sundew wrote:
tannerm wrote:Even 32 is too hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its my climate. Singapore temps are too warm. I can't even build a HL chamber nor do i have air conditioning. I could build a HL chamber but I am not sure what cooling i could use within my budget.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
Something like this (I think you can find one for half that price too) Evapolar Personal Air Cooler + Humidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS6WAS1/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Posts:  1754
Joined:  Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:10 am
#300235
Or, if you have he time or effort, provide temp drops by putting frozen water bottles in the tank every night, then refreezing it in the morning.
By aarolar
Posts:  87
Joined:  Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:54 am
#300244
tannerm wrote:
Dewy the Sundew wrote:
tannerm wrote:Even 32 is too hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its my climate. Singapore temps are too warm. I can't even build a HL chamber nor do i have air conditioning. I could build a HL chamber but I am not sure what cooling i could use within my budget.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
Something like this (I think you can find one for half that price too) Evapolar Personal Air Cooler + Humidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS6WAS1/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you personally used one of these? Does it actually cool the air or rely on evaporative cooling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
By slinx
Posts:  62
Joined:  Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:00 pm
#300249
They can take serious heat during the day, but I'm not entirely sure if they will manage long term with those night temperatures. It's certainly possible, I just don't know. You can keep them wetter as corky said, but I don't think you're really doing anything wrong. Let us know how it goes, if they die or thrive or just survive. Too many rumours and not enough first hand experiences going round for these plants.
aarolar wrote:
tannerm wrote:Something like this (I think you can find one for half that price too) Evapolar Personal Air Cooler + Humidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS6WAS1/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you personally used one of these? Does it actually cool the air or rely on evaporative cooling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Going by the name...
By aarolar
Posts:  87
Joined:  Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:54 am
#300252
Completely worthless down here in the south then, the search goes on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
By corky
Posts:  383
Joined:  Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:56 pm
#300259
Don't forget there's a lowland species , Heliamphora ciliata maybe worth a try if you can get one
By Dewy the Sundew
Posts:  292
Joined:  Sat May 14, 2016 6:14 am
#300689
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Or, if you have he time or effort, provide temp drops by putting frozen water bottles in the tank every night, then refreezing it in the morning.
Yep currently doing that. Temps drop to 22 and 23 celcius at night. I built an intermediate terrarium for the heli and my intermediate neps.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By Dewy the Sundew
Posts:  292
Joined:  Sat May 14, 2016 6:14 am
#300690
corky wrote:Don't forget there's a lowland species , Heliamphora ciliata maybe worth a try if you can get one
I've heard of it. No sure where to get 1 though.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
Growing Vlt in Michigan

I live in zone 6b so the temperature in my climate[…]

Is this as bad as it looks?

I got his N. lowii x ventricosa in the post today,[…]

Purple Black Cephalotus

Anyone else grow the Cephalotus clone Purple Black[…]

What is it that you find better about it exactly? […]

N. Gaya and N. x Ventrata

Thanks for your reply, I’ve only just got th[…]

WTB Heliamphora

Whew I looked it up and that is a beautiful plant […]

Five years after my first post in this thread I'[…]

Epiphytic utrics, Drosera for sale

how would you grow utricularia humboltii? I'm inte[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!