FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Puppybarnes
I have always wanted a VFT, and walking thru Home Depot, they have a display of them. I put one in the cart, hoping my husband would not look at the display and balk at the cost. For the price it is, it had better last more than a month!. I like interesting things in nature. My granddaughter and I go looking for Monarch caterpillars during the summer. I have one that has spun, and another that is "spinning" and two more eating milk weed. I do have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer for. Must all the traps be fed on a VFT? I fed two of the largest traps today. We do alot of fishing and I had some wax worms in the fridge. It was neat to see the head snap shut! I also read somewhere to take the "flowers" off the plant for better growth? What does the flower look like? I am more than happy to help the plant along, but I don't know what the flower looks like. Live and learn though. Thank you to anyone that answers. I greatly appreciate it.

:P
By pieguy452
Welcome to flytrapcare, Puppybarnes! Flytraps are fun to grow and easy to care for once you get their few requirements down :)
Puppybarnes wrote:Must all the traps be fed on a VFT?
A flytrap should never have to be fed, it will lure and catch food on it's own. However, if you want to see it eat something in action 1 or 2 bugs a week wouldn't hurt. There is such a thing as overfeeding, so feeding every trap in a short period of time will do more harm than good.
Puppybarnes wrote: I also read somewhere to take the "flowers" off the plant for better growth?
Cutting off flower stalks will save energy for the plant and it would be best to do so if you are just starting out.
Puppybarnes wrote:What does the flower look like?
A fully developed stalk looks like this
Image31.jpg
Image31.jpg (77.92 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
If you would like to know the basics for caring for a flytrap, I suggest reading this and the links provided in it :)

http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-tr ... ation.html

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!