FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I'd like to thank Sundewd for his recent donation of two packs of D. cistiflora with a white flower, black center. I will admit that I don't know enough about them to say whether the flower color is significant, but it usually is if it's mentioned.
He has donated others that will be listed on November 1st, but he suggested that these shouldn't wait.
Now, these may be the missing link between tuberous and regular dews, but most people still classify them as tuberous. They have much of the same germination requirements, such as a hot stratification. They grow in winter, die back and go dormant in the summer, but they don't seem to form tubers like normal tuberous. They form more of a fleshy root cluster, almost like a loose rhizome. I know, weird, right?
However, I may have missed some stuff about them, so I would suggest that you do your own research on these as they are closer to Mediterranean tuberous than regular tropical or subtropical dews. But they sure are cute!
These seeds are immediately available to donors for the next 48 hours, and all eligible members after that.
Thank you Sundewd, these are a neat addition, and I'll get your other donations (hint: one is a cool OP Sarr) listed on November 1st.
MaxVft, Shadowtski, sundewd liked this
By MaxVft
That's crazy.
There's a Drosera with BLACK-centered flowers?
Thanks to both Dean and @sundewd for making this possible in the seedbank.
sundewd liked this
By nimbulan
I'd like to pitch in with my experience here, since I grow a variety of forms of Drosera cistiflora. This species along with a number of others from South Africa are not tuberous, but they are winter-growing, and prefer essentially the same growing conditions as tuberous sundews. It will die back to long fleshy roots during summer, and care should be taken to not let the pot dry out too much because they are more vulnerable to desiccation than tubers are. I will also note that in my experience this species does not require any sort of heat treatment to germinate, just cool fall temperatures. I can't rule out particular forms benefiting from that though given the incredible amount of variation in the species (however it's going to be split into multiple species in the near future.)
MaxVft wrote:That's crazy.
There's a Drosera with BLACK-centered flowers?
Thanks to both Dean and @sundewd for making this possible in the seedbank.
Yes that's pretty typical for South African winter-growing sundews. They have largely evolved to mimic the flowers of other plants that grow in the same habitat and many of these other plants have black-centered flowers.
MaxVft, ChefDean, sundewd and 1 others liked this
By Apollyon
Thanks for the information. I was looking them up and it looked like an incredible plant. I had reasonable success with a few forms of tuberous. I was 50/50 letting the plant grow outside but was curious if they do better in partial or full sun. Also, if the temps drop into the 30s (Which we get for a week in February) would it be dangerous to the plant's health? I saw they're hardened to Zone 10/11 while I'm in 9b :/
Last edited by Apollyon on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowtski liked this
By nimbulan
Apollyon wrote:Thanks for the information. I was looking them up and it looked like an incredible plant. I had reasonable success with a few forms of tuberous. I was 50/50 letting the plant grow outside but was curious if they do better in partial or full sun. Also, if the temps drop into the 30s (Which we get for a week in February) would it be dangerous to the plant's health? I saw they're hardened to Zone 10/11 while I'm in 9b :/
Full sun absolutely, just like any other sundew. Any temperature above freezing should be fine (I'd avoid exposing them to frost,) though the plants' growth may slow down significantly if daytime highs are too low.
By Apollyon
Perhaps if there are enough, I'll split them and try both outside and indoors. Lowest low is usually mid 50s in the daytime and the threat of frost is more or less non-existent so it sounds like an option. It broke under 32 for one night last year :lol: Thanks a lot!
Supercazzola liked this
By sundewd
full disclosure. there aren't a ton of seeds per packet. I got them recently from a friend and he sent enough to share some. I think I was able to add ~12-16 per packet, no less than 10 for sure. I haven't gotten them to germinate yet either as such. But he's a top sundew grower so I fully trust the seeds.
By Apollyon
Thanks for the heads up man. I'm sure they're viable. Who knows, if they don't germinate, I'll keep the pot and throw it outside next year and see what happens. I hope you have some success with germination. I'm going to do more research and try to get some more info on them. Perhaps soak a couple in ga3 or something
sundewd liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!