FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By alaisl
Hi there guys! I've had this guy for about 3 months now, and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. He still looks pretty small after 3 months, but I thought that was just normal so I let it be. He used to grow only 2 or 3 buds at same time, so I was ecstatic when I saw around 5 to 6 of them sprout up just a week or so ago.

I worried when I started seeing these two little buds with black tips. Is this a problem?

I put him on a window facing east. The medium's a mix of sphagnum moss/perlite, and I use distilled water. Contemplated on whether to have the pot sit on a tray of water because it can be pretty hot where I live, but I've seen some forum posts that it's not necessary and it might promote root rot. I just let the water drain and keep a moisture meter.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by alaisl on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By alaisl
Every time I experience this its because the soil is far too wet.
Oh! Hmm, I guess I'll have to change my watering habits.

I usually water it when the moist meter's on the low end of the moist part of the band. I'll wait till it's on the middle-upper end of the dry part this time then. Thanks!

Needs more light i expect.
IDK. I keep it outside by the window so I think it's getting more than enough light.
By Fieldofscreams
Those meters don't work with plants like these. You will have to learn by experience. I'm to the point that I can pick up a pot and know by the weight of it if it needs water or not.

It does need more light though. You can tell my the wide leafs and small traps.
Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!