FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anymal911
Before I go I would like to know a few things about Nepenthes miranda. I just won one in a giveaway and it will be my first Nep ever.
Would it thrive outside in Houston weather? (Southeast Texas, about an hour away from the coast. Temps up to a hundred every day. Humidity relatively high; I'd say 30-70%.) What are its basic care requirements? What type of medium should it be in? (Is LFS ok?) Is there anything special to this hybrid that I should know of/provide? Thank you so much!
(Don't worry, I'm not getting it until I come back from my trip.)
By katya_dog1
Anymal, I left my Miranda outside all this spring and didn't start caring for it until June. It survived storms, completely dry medium, being watered exclusively with tap water, everything. It basically went through hell and came out alive. :lol:

And now it's growing really strong, I've got a lot of new pitchers, it really is a weed when it gets going. One thing: Instead of misting the tendrils, if you are keeping them outside, bag them. Take some plastic wrap and make it into a bag big enough for the tendril to fit loosely, and use a twist tie to secure the bag to the tendril. Spray inside the bag every once in a while, to keep the humidity up. You only have to do the misting once a week instead of twice a day, and it keeps bugs off the tender young pitchers.
katya_dog1 liked this
By dykotah
Awesome plant, but hates to be moved. I got mine about a month ago and it is taking some time to grow new pitchers. However it has about 6 new growth points!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
By Anymal911
katya_dog1 wrote:Anymal, I left my Miranda outside all this spring and didn't start caring for it until June. It survived storms, completely dry medium, being watered exclusively with tap water, everything. It basically went through hell and came out alive. :lol:

And now it's growing really strong, I've got a lot of new pitchers, it really is a weed when it gets going. One thing: Instead of misting the tendrils, if you are keeping them outside, bag them. Take some plastic wrap and make it into a bag big enough for the tendril to fit loosely, and use a twist tie to secure the bag to the tendril. Spray inside the bag every once in a while, to keep the humidity up. You only have to do the misting once a week instead of twice a day, and it keeps bugs off the tender young pitchers.
Sorry for the necro, but I have a quick question for you. I have been keeping my miranda outside where it gets a little filtered sun, but mostly shade. It has put out a couple of leaves but no pitchers... Do you keep yours in full sun? And is there anything I should change?
By katya_dog1
Anymal911 wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:Anymal, I left my Miranda outside all this spring and didn't start caring for it until June. It survived storms, completely dry medium, being watered exclusively with tap water, everything. It basically went through hell and came out alive. :lol:

Sorry for the necro, but I have a quick question for you. I have been keeping my miranda outside where it gets a little filtered sun, but mostly shade. It has put out a couple of leaves but no pitchers... Do you keep yours in full sun? And is there anything I should change?
Whether this is wise or not, my Miranda got sun from 1 pm until sundown. Basically hot, afternoon sun. It grew very well, but I had to mist it to cool it down.

We had extremely hot temperatures in June, but my Miranda was in shade during that time. Only in July did I put it in sun and let it take off.

Humidity and light are two big factors. I'd say full sun through a window for 4-6 hours a day (what mine's at now, with no problem with pitchering) or 4 hours outside. I don't know what you're doing in terms of humidity, but again, I'd recommend bagging the tendrils.
By katya_dog1
I didn't acclimate. I got this plant in December, and realized that I was most likely going to lose the pitchers, so I didn't bother.

As soon as the tendril is inflated, you can take off the bag and it will grow well from there.
katya_dog1 liked this
By Anymal911
Here are a few pictures of my miranda... The greener leaf wasn't fully developed when it got shipped and was probably damaged... It didn't start growing until two or three weeks ago. As you can see a new leaf is growing but it seems to not be forming a pitcher...
ImageImage
By fattytuna
I grow mine outside in Sydney. Summers are about 26-30 C during the day and winters around 16C. Humidity varies widely, but it hardly ever gets sticky like the tropics.

The plant has no trouble forming large pitchers during the summertime. I keep it under a tree but its still very bright.

However, all growth pretty much stops during late autumn and through winter.
By Anymal911
fattytuna wrote:I grow mine outside in Sydney. Summers are about 26-30 C during the day and winters around 16C. Humidity varies widely, but it hardly ever gets sticky like the tropics.

The plant has no trouble forming large pitchers during the summertime. I keep it under a tree but its still very bright.

However, all growth pretty much stops during late autumn and through winter.
Do you just leave the plant be, or do you bag the tendrils as katya_dog suggested?
By fattytuna
Anymal911 wrote: Do you just leave the plant be, or do you bag the tendrils as katya_dog suggested?
I just let them be. Bagging them would probably cook them in my climate. This species is quite good at forming pitchers in variable humidity.
fattytuna liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!