FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Patrick257
Hi all, :)

I want to know your opinion what to do. I think is too late to the rescue plant. I don't have good conditions for cultivation nepenthes but i tried anyway with hybrid (Ventrata). On some forums I read Ventrata don't has big requirements for growing on west oriented window sill.

My condition:
Environment: indoors on the window sill, west side oriented, no terrarium
Soil: Long fiber Sphagnum moss, watering with distilled water - from top (pot don't stay in water)
Light: winter day light / no direct sun

Until the winter was no problem. I expect due to less sunlight and cold temperatures the nepenthes will not growing new pitchers, but will survive only with leafs. I reduce watering during winter time.

1 month ago on bottom leafs appears brown dots. A few days later was this leaf all brown and next leaf had same brown dots. I didn't panic because I thought it is normal due to lack of sunlight and colder temperature. Currently, half of leafs are dried and what's worse the top leafs blackened (doesn't produce new leafs). Seems to gradually brown the stem from below to top.

After searching seems to be:
- rotten roots (I think use only Sphagnum moss was not good idea holding too much water. I don't mix soil with perlit or other stuff)
- generally unsuitable conditions during winter (combination of less light, west window, cold temperatures with wet soil, no humidity)

Could you look at photos what I take and let me know if it is worth to report nepenthes to new soil or try to stem cutting from top or can't be saved. Today i take away from old soil to see roots, but I can't recognize if they are rooten :) . They are only black. I only find the new growing white stem. I planted to new soil with more air mixture ( Sphagnum moss, perlit, polystyrene, bark, peat).

Thanks in advance for all feedback.
regards, Patrick
Attachments:
TOP_LEAF_0002.jpg
TOP_LEAF_0002.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
TOP_LEAF_0001.jpg
TOP_LEAF_0001.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
SCREEN_0003.jpg
SCREEN_0003.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
SCREEN_0002.jpg
SCREEN_0002.jpg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
SCREEN_0001.jpg
SCREEN_0001.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
ROOTS_0004.jpg
ROOTS_0004.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
ROOTS_0003.jpg
ROOTS_0003.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
ROOTS_0002.jpg
ROOTS_0002.jpg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
ROOTS_0001.jpg
ROOTS_0001.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
NEW_SOIL_MIX.jpg
NEW_SOIL_MIX.jpg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
NEW_SOIL_02.jpg
NEW_SOIL_02.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
NEW_SOIL.jpg
NEW_SOIL.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
By Panman
Yep, root rot. I've done this to my ventrata a couple of times. At this point I have cut off the stem where it starts to brown, stick it in a pot of sphagnum, and keep it in a ziplock bag. Obviously, since I've already done this a few times, I'm not an expert at growing neps.
By Nepenthes0260
Like Panman said, the roots are rotted. I'd repot it into a mix higher in perlite and water less frequently.

Also, that looks like a ventricosa, not a Ventrata. Ventricosas tend to have more strap-like leaves while Ventrata leaves bulge a bit at the ends. It may be a bit too cold, generally that's what causes browning from the top of the growth point for me.

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!