FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By wstok002
Better Grow special orchid mix fir bark, perlite, lfs and a handful of peat moss for transplanting a nepenthes alata and ventricosa. What do you think? And yes, I'm picking the fir pieces out of the mix. I don't wanna spend money on just fir bark
By wstok002
I've heard some meh stuff about charcoal and neps, apparently they're not huge fans of it. I'm mostly concerned that there might be some sort of residue on the bark, but people seem to like fir bark for neps so im gonna give it a shot. If anybody knows of they put any weird stuff on their bark, lmk.
By iamjacksplants
I've never had any issues with using orchid mixes for nepenthes. I imagine any charcoal would be horticultural grade if included in an orchid mix. Highly beneficial, especially if the mix is subjected to being continuously damp. Basically helps to keep "soggy" mixes from going sour. In fact, I've been looking for some - what mix did you purchase that has some in it? If anything in the mix you mentioned is bad for nepenthes I would say it's the peat. That's a nepenthes "no-no" as far as I'm aware. I don't like it for any CPs to be honest, but that's just me.

Good luck and happy growing!
-@.
By Nightbreed
iamjacksplants wrote:I've never had any issues with using orchid mixes for nepenthes. I imagine any charcoal would be horticultural grade if included in an orchid mix. Highly beneficial, especially if the mix is subjected to being continuously damp. Basically helps to keep "soggy" mixes from going sour. In fact, I've been looking for some - what mix did you purchase that has some in it? If anything in the mix you mentioned is bad for nepenthes I would say it's the peat. That's a nepenthes "no-no" as far as I'm aware. I don't like it for any CPs to be honest, but that's just me.

Good luck and happy growing!
-@.
Bettergro orchid mix at home depot or Lowe's has chunks of charcoal in it.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
Nightbreed liked this

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!