FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hey guys! What do you think about this nepenthes? The name for sure is not quite exotic!
I don't seem to see them around too much...any reason for this? I think they look nice! It would be my first and possibly only nepenthes for a while..

Highlands are the ones compatible with my weather. Does is require any specific conditions beside the regular highland nepenthes care ? I know that experts sometimes have special advices for some species...

Thanks all!
By snapperhead51
this is a great plant , it comes from the Malaysia Peninsular from Perak to Northern Selangor ,it grows from 900 to 2150 m in low montane forest or scrub and ridge tops , will tolerate low light !! but grows vigorously in full mountain sun, is both terrestrial and epiphyte.
It can naturally cross with N.ramispiana and N.sanguinea , so is a very versatile plant and should be quite easy to grow , it has been in past years a popular cross with many nep's make some great crosses Eg. N.ventricosa x macfarlanei , N.mcfarlanei x oristolockioidies ,,N.spectabilis x macfarlanei ECt

One very important point dont buy a ex-vitro plant or semi immature one either , buy from a well known seller and try to get a plant that is at least 4 to 5 years old if possible even a mature established cutting will be good , this will illuminate a lot of slow grow and hard to get established problems that do occur if you buy plant from places that do not know how to look after nep's in the correct manner , do not buy a poorly or sickly plant ever !! your just buying a heap or problems and it will take many years to recover properly if at all
hope this helps
J
just popped back to post a few pic's of the crosses I mentioned
Attachments:
N. macfarlanei purple x sibyanensis
N. macfarlanei purple x sibyanensis
P1090912.JPG (104.88 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
N. macfarlanei purple x sibuyanensis
N. macfarlanei purple x sibuyanensis
P1090911.JPG (95.86 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
93 macfarlanei -purple xventricosa red squat.JPG
93 macfarlanei -purple xventricosa red squat.JPG (79.1 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
Last edited by snapperhead51 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By sekler
Awesome reply, thanks John! ! I was actually really looking forward your reply since you seem to be the most experimented nep grower on here!

So essentially this goes for all neps, that young plants shouldn't be bought? I guess that if we buy in person that's a whole different story. ..
By snapperhead51
yes mostly , plants like N.ventricosa and N.maxima plants in that category is fine to get in ex-verto or small , just some of the high land plants can be a bit hard to get going if conditions are not just right, , I have had this experience myself , and thought if you are not experienced , you could have a bit of trouble , larger plants adapt quicker to your conditions , that's my experience , once you have your grow area established and going well after a few years or more then it would probably be ok to get the smaller plants in :mrgreen:
J
By endodoc
Hey John
That is one beautiful plant, I cannot believe the number of pitchers on a plant that is so compact. Nice Job!!
Ed :D
endodoc liked this
By snapperhead51
hay Ed thanks man :mrgreen: good to see your post , sent you a email addy , drop me a email ok dont seem to get on at the same time here !! :oops: good to hear from you :mrgreen:
By sekler
I'm out of words John, those are amazing looking plants!
I'll keep that in mind that's for sure :)

Thanks for the great info!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!