FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SunNeSarVe
Hello everyone,
I have a Nepenthes x hookerania (hybrid) which is doing best out of my 3 CP's here in the hot climates of Senegal. It's pitchering up like crazy with at least 15 pitchers on the plant at all times. The pitchers are all very small (1 to 2 inches Max) and all have digestion fluid once open. They are fed very very small ants occasionally and are on a windowsill with full diffused sunlight. I believe I have two plants in the same pots but please confirm. I bought them in Las Palmas at a garden place and they've been here for 4 months. I water with distilled water for car batteries (which seems to work fine) and mist every so often.
However once opened and the pitchers start drying up from the lid and dry out very slowly. I think humidity might be the problem although I try my best to keep it high and I also right in front of the sea so it should be more humid than other places in the country. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks and have a nice day!
Attachments:
Pitcher lids drying
Pitcher lids drying
20181213_171956.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1928 times
Two plants?
Two plants?
20181213_175211.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 1928 times
Plant as a whole
Plant as a whole
20181213_175248.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 1928 times
By twitcher
If the pitchers are drying out, I would try increasing the amount of water given and misting more often. Also, a larger pot should provide more moisture stability for the roots and the plant. Lastly, check to make sure it is not getting too much air movement which could contribute to drying. I have had a similar problem with one of my neps that I solved that way.
By twitcher
Just noticed the dark substrate. What is it planted in? You might not be getting enough air to the roots depending on the media, in which case giving more water as advised above might be the wrong thing to do.
twitcher liked this
By Benurmanii
I would advise against misting, it is an outdated practice that doesn’t actually do anything for the plant except act as inefficient watering. To me, your plant looks fine, I wouldn’t worry about the pitcher lids drying as it is most likely just those older pitchers starting to senesce.
By SunNeSarVe
First of all thanks for the quick answers!
I have no idea what the potting media because I haven't changed it since I got the plant. I've been wanting to get sphagnum moss from New Zealand as well as other supplies but it's very annoying to get them for me since there are no specialized plant stores here.
I think maybe it's air related because I live right in front of the sea but there isn't any breeze where the plant is.
Weird thing is as some pitchers are drying, so many new ones are coming. Like I said there is more than 15... but all are very small. Lastly for water the soil is almost always very moist and I think I'm watering quite enough.

I Water and mist (Benurmaani)
Ps: can you tell if it is 2 seedlings in the pot or just one? Thanks a lot!

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!