FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By seanu13
Yup it was from Ryan :) I've turned my office into one large highland grow space, so normally I'd keep plants in the open (I haven't figured out how to make a grow tent work in there yet).

The cutting I have under T5 HO's (4 bulb) with a kind of open top dome to keep the humidity up higher since it's a cutting and I'm paranoid due to the cost. Humidity is likely 80%+ during the day and 90+ at night. Temps during the day get up to 77-81 F, 54-60 F at night.

Eventually the dome thing isn't going to be big enough and I'll have to acclimate it to lower humidity or go ahead and get the grow tent. Normally I don't have too much trouble with humidity, but winter time is making it difficult to keep high in the room. You cutting would be too big for the rigged up dome.
By tannerm
seanu13 wrote:Yup it was from Ryan :) I've turned my office into one large highland grow space, so normally I'd keep plants in the open (I haven't figured out how to make a grow tent work in there yet).

The cutting I have under T5 HO's (4 bulb) with a kind of open top dome to keep the humidity up higher since it's a cutting and I'm paranoid due to the cost. Humidity is likely 80%+ during the day and 90+ at night. Temps during the day get up to 77-81 F, 54-60 F at night.

Eventually the dome thing isn't going to be big enough and I'll have to acclimate it to lower humidity or go ahead and get the grow tent. Normally I don't have too much trouble with humidity, but winter time is making it difficult to keep high in the room. You cutting would be too big for the rigged up dome.
Make SURE you have airflow and fresh air coming in, that's the #1 most important thing I've found.

Here's my setup ImageImage

3 120mm fans and one fan on the lower level to suck air in (I leave the tent open a bit on the bottom). The bigger fan below and the middle 120mm fan only come on for like 20 minutes every 2 hours. I also have a fogger/humidifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By seanu13
Nice, how do you like that LED? I have a couple of galaxy hydro reef LEDs (more blue/white with some red/orange mixed in) on a different shelf for cephs/helis.

I have good airflow in the room in general from a portable air conditioner that has a "swivel" setting to let the air flow go up and down. The hole in the top of the dome allows for some air exchange and I take the dome off for a good 2+ hours a day to let it dry out some.

I have a larger version of that tent actually, but it's too big to be in a room the size of the one I'm using. it's a walk in 4'x4' (not sure on the height, looks the same as yours). Not to get off topic from your original post, but what else do you have in there? Looks like another cutting :)
By tannerm
seanu13 wrote:Nice, how do you like that LED? I have a couple of galaxy hydro reef LEDs (more blue/white with some red/orange mixed in) on a different shelf for cephs/helis.

I have good airflow in the room in general from a portable air conditioner that has a "swivel" setting to let the air flow go up and down. The hole in the top of the dome allows for some air exchange and I take the dome off for a good 2+ hours a day to let it dry out some.

I have a larger version of that tent actually, but it's too big to be in a room the size of the one I'm using. it's a walk in 4'x4' (not sure on the height, looks the same as yours). Not to get off topic from your original post, but what else do you have in there? Looks like another cutting :)
I LOVE my LED. Makes some of the neps a little more red than I'd like, but they love it and grow vigorously under it. Has more of the spectrum they like.

That's good! Seems like yours will do great too. I think the only thing that mine has going for it over yours is the light (and of course the live sphagnum now - they like and prefer to grow in it). Oh and I also use beneficial fungi and maxsea fertilizer, domaine those too Image

Yes, it's another cutting. Haha. Good eye (I may try to re-root and make it more like a regular nep) - here's my growlist for my mini tent:

N. Hamata (cutting)
N. Miles (cutting)
N. Red Hairy Hamata (baby SG)
N. Lowii (baby SG)
N. Robcantleyi (either SG or TC)
N. Rajah x Jaqu (SG)
N. Jamban (SG)
Ceph var Hummer's Giant
H. Heterodoxa x Minor
H. Chimantensis

By tannerm
seanu13 wrote:ImageImage

Looks good!!! Cut that original leaf all the way when most of the green goes from it.

I'm going to cut my original leaf almost all the way down and cut the nob on the top down all the way to the growth point today.

Also repot it in live sphagnum if you can.

By tannerm
minimao wrote:Wow , so great to see its progress! I'm soooooo jealous.

Thank you! I actually cut the stump down to the node as well (used grafting wax to cover the wound) Image

By Benurmanii
Hmmm, wondering if you'll get uppers or lowers out of the cutting. It seems to be doing the typical cutting thing where it looks like it is really gonna take off and vine, but then shortens the node length. Not sure if hamata has intermediates, as those are what you would likely get.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:Hmmm, wondering if you'll get uppers or lowers out of the cutting. It seems to be doing the typical cutting thing where it looks like it is really gonna take off and vine, but then shortens the node length. Not sure if hamata has intermediates, as those are what you would likely get.
Yeah, I have no clue. This thing is growing crazy. Like 3 inches every two weeks. Definitely growing faster than any other nep I own.
By tannerm
Fishman wrote:The moss looks fabulous too. Great job!
Thanks man! For some reason everyone loves the moss more than the plants Image

By Benurmanii
tannerm wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:Hmmm, wondering if you'll get uppers or lowers out of the cutting. It seems to be doing the typical cutting thing where it looks like it is really gonna take off and vine, but then shortens the node length. Not sure if hamata has intermediates, as those are what you would likely get.
Yeah, I have no clue. This thing is growing crazy. Like 3 inches every two weeks. Definitely growing faster than any other nep I own.
Sounds like you may be getting uppers! Personally, I think hamata uppers are just as fantastic as the lowers.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Sounds like you may be getting uppers! Personally, I think hamata uppers are just as fantastic as the lowers.
Most want lowers tho ha

By tannerm
My cutting is well over 1 foot long at this point & it looks like it's first pitcher is starting for form (FINALLY)! Interestingly the pitcher is right in front of the humidifier exhaust (something tells me it likes its pitchers to be went when forming).

I'll report back on confirmation once I know definitely that's what's going on. Pictures to come.

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!