FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Wjolly01
I saw that California Carnivores has some bical crosses for sale one is Nepenthes northiana x bicalcarata and the other is Nepenthes ( thorelii x bicalcarata ) x northiana. I know the bical hybrids generally rarely have any teeth and if anything they are mostly nubs but I think they could be some really cool Nepenthes. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with northiana or thorelii? From what I read it seems that northianas are very finicky.
By KasraK
Thoreli is easy from what I have heard, but I don't know much about northiana. Most likely both plants will be an easy to grow since they have bicalcarata or thoreli in it. Also I think in the thoreli x bical x northiana it has tiny nubs.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
KasraK liked this
By Wjolly01
Thank you! I am definitely considering the thoreli x bical x northiana. Baby teeth on a plant are still pretty cool in my book! I wish bicals were more available every time I try to to find one they are sold out or they are really expensive.
By tzestan
The parent plants are lowland plants. All are robust given lowland condition. I think either cross should do well.

Northiana is notoriously difficult growing outside tropical region. Not sure whether it is weakness of specific clone, or subtle difference in artificial lowland condition created there. I have not heard of problem from local growers here. My northiana has stayed with me over 7 years now. Same grow medium and condition like other neps. No particular worrying problem, other than refusing to pitcher during drier months.
tzestan liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!